From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]
    (1)
Session Planning
Duration 1.5 hour90 minute
5,400 second
0.0625 day
Date/Time Sep 06 2017 16:30 GMT
9:30am PDT/12:30pm EDT
4:30pm GMT/5:30pm CET
Convener KenBaclawski

Contents

Ontology Summit 2018 First Planning Meeting     (2)

Abstract     (2A)

In this session, we begin the Summit planning process. The Ontolog Forum Board of Trustees has selected "Context" as the theme. However, since the emphasis will, of course, be on the relationship between contexts and ontologies, something like "Ontologies in Context" might be more descriptive.     (2A1)

A useful starting point is "Contexts in Context" by Patrick J. Hayes https://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/Pub/ContextsInContext.pdf     (2A2)

In the agent world, the closest approximation to context is a BDI (Belief, Desire, Intent) agent, primarily expressed using modal operators.     (2A3)

Other examples of context include speech act theory, situation semantics, Kamp/Heim Discourse Representation Theory (DRT)/file-change semantics, and the fairly recent dynamic semantics.     (2A4)

Languages such as IKL (IKRIS) have a context logic built into them.     (2A5)

Hybrid logic can also be used to specify contexts. See https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-hybrid/.     (2A6)

Obrst, L, D. Nichols. 2005. Context and Ontologies: Contextual Indexing of Ontological Expressions. AAAI 2005 Workshop on Context and Ontologies, poster, AAAI 2005, July 9-13, Pittsburgh, PA. http://www.mitre.org/publications/technical-papers/context-and-ontologies-contextual-indexing-of-ontological-expressions.     (2A7)

Blackburn, P. 2000. "Internalizing Labelled Deduction", Journal of Logic and Computation, 10: 137-168.     (2A8)

Agenda     (2B)

Conference Call Information     (2C)

    • Instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (2C5A)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (2C5B)
  • This session, like all other Ontolog events, is open to the public. Information relating to this session is shared on this wiki page.     (2C6)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (2C7)

Attendees     (2D)

Proceedings     (2E)

[12:05] gary: I thought that we were moving these to a noon start...     (2E1)

[12:07] gary: From our August Board Meeting "[12:50]KenBaclawski: I move to change the default time/date for meetings to Noon on Wednesdays. [12:50]KenBaclawski: The motion passes unanimously."     (2E2)

KenBaclawski: My posting on the mailing list did attempt to make it clear that the Noon start time begins next week since the start time for today's session was set several months ago. Nevertheless, I hoped to start the video conference at Noon. Unfortunatly, I had some technical difficulty starting the session at Noon. The original connection URL was canceled, and I had to create a new one. This required updating the wiki and posting a notice. The conference session actually started at 12:15 EDT.     (2E3)

[12:10] JackRing1: My perspective concerns creating a system that enables stakeholders to control another system, the Problem System, which is mind-numbingly complex and non-deterministic. To me this means that the PS is the context of those creating the Problem Suppression System, PSS. Likewise the stakeholders in the PS consider those in the PSS to be context. Our challenge is to realize a way to correlate the two contexts sufficient for a successful PSS.     (2E4)

[12:15] KenBaclawski: The change to Noon will occur starting at the next meeting. However, the video conference is now running. The URL has changed to https://bluejeans.com/703588230.     (2E5)

[12:30] gary: PAT Hayes probably still stands by the advice that "there is no useful single idea of "context", and in order to construct nontrivial theories of contextual truth, it is necessary to distinguish different conceptions of context and analyze their varying and different properties."     (2E6)

[12:32] gary: Hmm. I'm getting "Well It seems the page you are looking for does not exist."     (2E7)

[12:36] gary: You need text which has context.     (2E8)

[12:42] MatthewWest: I can offer to do a talk about context in data integration, where it is a major problem. Context here means that which some application or data set takes as given, rather than makes explicit. Generally different applications/data sets have different contexts, and to be able to integrate those applications/data sets you need to make the implicit context explicit.     (2E9)

[12:46] ToddSchneider: Matthew, your audio is completely distorte.     (2E10)

[12:47] gary: "We identify four important varieties of contexts Projection Contexts, Approximation Contexts, Ambiguity Contexts and Mental State Contexts. We define each type, describe sub-types, list benchmark examples of each sub-type, discuss their practical uses and the requirements they make of the underlying logic. We pay particular attention to the problem of lifting, i.e., of using information obtained from one context in another and describe how these different varieties of contexts tend to require different kinds of lifting rules." from Varieties of Contexts by R. Guha, John McCarthy     (2E11)

[12:48] gary: Also releavnt: Guha, Ramanathan, Rob McCool, and Richard Fikes. "Contexts for the semantic web." International Semantic Web Conference. Vol. 3298. 2004.     (2E12)

[12:50] gary: Another aspect of this is the use of a context understanding as part of ontology engineering. For example, "De Leenheer, Pieter, Aldo De Moor, and Robert Meersman. "Context dependency management in ontology engineering: a formal approach." Journal on data semantics VIII. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2007. 26-56."     (2E13)

[12:52] JackRing: In what ways does my ontology differ from yours, why, and can we discover a mutual map?     (2E14)

[12:53] MatthewWest: I agree with Ken that there are several views on what context is, and that it would be useful to explore and elucidate those different views.     (2E15)

[12:54] MikeBennett: I can do a track or session on Context as an upper ontology element (the 3-part pattern) if that fits.     (2E16)

[12:54] MatthewWest: I agree with Jack that understanding why one ontology is different from yours is an important notion of context.     (2E17)

[12:55] JackRing: Seems to me we will be revisiting General Semantics from Korsybsky to date.     (2E18)

[12:56] MikeBennett: @JackRing yet but in language that business practitioners can take away something actionable from, hopefully     (2E19)

[12:56] gary: Well we have to ask, How is context represented/modeled in "Upper Ontologies?"     (2E20)

[12:56] ToddSchneider: Nicola and Giancarlo have a recent paper on Relationships and Events that discuss scenes and events in the 'context' of reification and truthmaking.     (2E21)

[12:57] MikeBennett: @Gary one (very specific) notion of Context is the Sowa "Mediating Thing" i.e. that in which 2 or more entities are brought together in relationships (the Relative Thing notion). So this is the context in which one is a teacher, a customer and so on.     (2E22)

[12:57] gary: FYI, In the Ontolog Board meeting I asked John Sowa if he would be willing to be on an Intro panel and he agreed.     (2E23)

[12:58] ToddSchneider: Hans Polzer would be amenable to talk on context and interoperability.     (2E24)

[12:59] ToddSchneider: Matthew, your audio is coming across distorted.     (2E25)

[13:01] MikeBennett: So my upper ontology proposal embraces the notion of context as a concept.     (2E26)

[13:02] gary: Context will be important as part of IoT work. There is some early work on managing context in mobile devices/services. For example, "In mobile computing, the efficient utilisation of the information gained from the sensors embedded in the devices is difficult. Instead of using raw measurement data application specifically, as currently is customary, higher abstraction level semantic descriptions of the situation, context, can be used to develop mobile applications that are more usable. This article introduces an ontology of context constituents, which are derived from a set of sensors embedded in a mobile device. In other words, a semantic interface to the sensor data is provided. The ontology promotes the rapid development of mobile applications, more efficient use of resources, as well as reuse and sharing of information between communicating entities. A few mobile applications are presented to illustrate the possibilities of using the ontology." Korpip&aumlaut;&aumlaut;, Panu, and Jani M&aumlat;ntyj&aumlaut;rvi. "An ontology for mobile device sensor-based context awareness." Modeling and Using Context (2003): 451-458.     (2E27)

[13:04] MikeBennett: @Gary this looks like an important area to explore and a tie-in to earlier summit. This IoT issue is one that needs people to distinguish between ontology representations of measurement versus what's measured i.e. the ontology has to provide the context to tie these two notions together.     (2E28)

[13:13] MatthewWest: I've tried a couple of things on audio, but they are obviously not working.     (2E29)

[13:13] Ram D. Sriram: I need to go to another meeting. Am logging off.     (2E30)

[13:13] MatthewWest: It would be useful even to set out what are the different senses in which context is useful, and what future work is required to make progress.     (2E31)

[13:14] gary: @MikeG agreed. Don't know the current research but we could leverage some of what we did earlier in the IoT Summit to give us some ideas of how to start.     (2E32)

[13:15] MikeBennett: @Gary some of the IoT speakers might be a resource on this. To me the issue seems clear (many SemWeb ontologies are really of data). Would love to see how they handle this.     (2E33)

[13:15] gary: @Mathew, we probably need you type in your comments....     (2E34)

[13:17] JackRing: Anybody connected to Julliard School of Music     (2E35)

[13:18] MatthewWest: Sorry, I have to leave now. I don't mind leading something on context in integration, but I'm not aware of too many others who have done work in that field, so I will need help with that.     (2E36)

[13:21] MikeBennett: Oct 18 for MikeBennett session (Context as a Concept - Mediating Thing / Upper Ontology notion of context)     (2E37)

[13:25] KenBaclawski:     (2E38)

 10/4 Situation Awareness and Decision Making [KB]
 10/11 Systems Theory [JR]
 10/18 Upper Ontologies [MB]
 10/25 Linguistics [TBD]
 11/1 Integration and Interoperability [MW and others]
 11/8 General Planning Session
 11/15 Final Planning Session

[13:28] KenBaclawski: Updated schedule:     (2E39)

 9/13 Paper club
 9/20 Paper club
 9/27 Paper club
 10/4 Situation Awareness and Decision Making [KB]
 10/11 Systems [JR]
 10/18 Upper Ontologies [MB]
 10/25 Linguistics [TBD]
 11/1 Integration and Interoperability [MW and others]
 11/8 General Planning Session
 11/15 Final Planning Session

[13:28] RaviSharma: Would like to suggest at least a list of major context related words, concepts such as situation awareness, myontology vs yours, etc as discussed today so as to understad the relative importance of items to context especially for existing and future ontologies and specially upper ontologies. this would lead us to a few frameworks that might help converge on context in relevance to ontologies.     (2E40)

[13:34] RaviSharma: the result of planning sessions would be a series of expert presentations early in the year leading to communique and face to face?     (2E41)

[13:34] ToddSchneider1: Have to go. Thank you Ken.     (2E42)

[13:36] RaviSharma: I understand that for the paper sessions, I WOULD TRY TO READ AND COMPREHEND (TO THE EXTENT POSSIBLE) - sorry for uppercase not intended, and follow up with bibliography etc on the Wiki?     (2E43)

[13:37] RaviSharma: summarizing the session as scribe, not necessarily the paper summary for ravi.     (2E44)

[13:37] RaviSharma: and putting it on wiki?     (2E45)

KenBaclawski: Yes, put it on the wiki.     (2E46)

[13:37] RaviSharma: thanks.     (2E47)

[13:38] KenBaclawski: Updated Schedule:     (2E48)

 9/13 Paper club
 9/20 Paper club
 9/27 Paper club
 10/4 Situation Awareness and Decision Making [KB]
 10/11 System Realization and Efficacy [JR]
 10/18 Upper Ontologies [MB]
 10/25 Linguistics [TBD]
 11/1 Integration and Interoperability [MW and others]
 11/8 General Planning Session
 11/15 Final Planning Session

[13:40] KenBaclawski: Meeting adjourned.     (2E49)

[13:40] Gary Berg-Cross2: Ken, put the instructions for the paper sessions on the site. It's context !     (2E50)

[13:41] KenBaclawski: Yes, I will try to capture both the instructions and material from the recording that is not on the chat.     (2E51)

Previous Meetings     (2F)


Next Meetings     (2G)