From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

Ontology Summit 2016 Semantic Integration in Engineering - Thu 2016-03-17     (1)

Agenda     (1B)

  • Dial-in:     (1C4)
    • Phone (US): +1 (425) 440-5100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1C4A)
    • Skype: join.conference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="join.conference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ... ref.)     (1C4B)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 843758#     (1C4B1)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1C4B2)
        • Add the contact "join.conference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "join.conference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 843758# when prompted.     (1C4B2A)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1C4B3)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1C4B3A)
        • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (1C4B3B)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1C5A)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1C5B)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) summit_20160317@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1C5C)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1C6)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1C6A)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1C6B)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1C6C)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1C6D)
  • RSVP to gruninger@mie.utoronto.ca with your affiliation appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the community already.)     (1C8)
  • This session, like all other Ontolog events, is open to the public. Information relating to this session is shared on this wiki page.     (1C9)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1C10)

Attendees     (1D)

Proceedings     (1E)

[12:25] ToddSchneider: Hello, Bob. We'll be starting in about 6 minutes.     (1E1)

[12:26] RaviSharma: Hi Todd     (1E2)

[12:26] ToddSchneider: Hello Ravi. Ready with questions:)?     (1E3)

[12:26] RaviSharma: will try!     (1E4)

[12:27] Bob Young: Hi folks - I seem to have found my way into the system     (1E5)

[12:32] Donna Fritzsche: Welcome everyone! Slides are downloadable from the meeting page.     (1E6)

[12:36] Donna Fritzsche: Some might argue that the standards in place ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISA-88) already have ontology like features. Can speakers address this when possible?     (1E7)

[12:38] Donna Fritzsche: and ISA-95 http://www.mesa.org/en/B2MML.asp     (1E8)

[12:38] Donna Fritzsche: also see allotrope: http://www.allotrope.org/#!open-document-standards/cdl4     (1E9)

[12:38] ToddSchneider: Bob young goes first     (1E10)

[12:39] FrankOlken: I am on the call now. I can hear speakers, I have muted myself.     (1E11)

[12:40] Mark Underwood: Sorry about that miscue, Bob     (1E12)

[12:41] LeoObrst: Hi, Kevin. Long time!     (1E13)

[12:49] ToddSchneider: On slide 5     (1E14)

[12:51] ToddSchneider: Please mute yourself, if not speaking.     (1E15)

[12:51] ToddSchneider: To mute, press "*6", To un-mute, press "*7".     (1E16)

[12:52] ToddSchneider: On slide 6     (1E17)

[12:55] ToddSchneider: On slide 7, 'The Loughborough Viewpoint'     (1E18)

[12:58] ToddSchneider: On slide 8, 'Specific IMKS investigations'     (1E19)

[12:58] RaviSharma: Bob How do you interject ontology into an already well functioning Manufacturing system and processes, at Business rule change or at BPM level or as alerts where logical next step would lead to less efficient execution?     (1E20)

[12:59] ToddSchneider: On slide 9, 'An example from aerospace manufacture'     (1E21)

[13:00] ToddSchneider: On slide 10, 'There are many categories of manufacturing concepts'     (1E22)

[13:02] ToddSchneider: On slide 11, 'a Manufacturing Core Concepts Ontology illustration ...'     (1E23)

[13:04] ToddSchneider: On slide 12, 'IODE - Manufacturing Core Ontology - Classes'     (1E24)

[13:04] ToddSchneider: On slide 13, 'IODE - Manufacturing Core Ontology Example Relations'     (1E25)

[13:05] ToddSchneider: On slide 14, 'IODE - Manufacturing Core Ontology - Integrity Constraints'     (1E26)

[13:06] ToddSchneider: On slide 15     (1E27)

[13:06] RaviSharma: Bob How would you apply ontology, as a new manufacturing system capable of handling large volumes for example and in that case would you rewrite or scrap working ERP solutions?     (1E28)

[13:07] ToddSchneider: On slide 16     (1E29)

[13:08] ToddSchneider: On slide 17     (1E30)

[13:08] ToddSchneider: On slide 18     (1E31)

[13:09] ToddSchneider: On slide 19     (1E32)

[13:10] ToddSchneider: On slide 20.     (1E33)

[13:10] ToddSchneider: On slide 21     (1E34)

[13:11] ToddSchneider: On slide 22, 'Manufacturing Intelligence Systems Core Concepts'     (1E35)

[13:12] ToddSchneider: On slide 23, 'A key result of Hastilows research'     (1E36)

[13:13] Donna Fritzsche: Do we need to wrap up?     (1E37)

[13:14] ToddSchneider: On slide 24, 'FLEXINET: ...'     (1E38)

[13:14] RaviSharma: Bob Hastillow's approach then is to examine logic of applied rules and catch errors for each release of manufacturing system, how does it become executable in future releases?     (1E39)

[13:15] ToddSchneider: On slide 25, 'Reference ontology supports KB ...'     (1E40)

[13:16] ToddSchneider: On slide 26, 'Ontology Layers'     (1E41)

[13:18] ToddSchneider: On slide 27, 'The level 1 concepts and relationships'     (1E42)

[13:19] ToddSchneider: On slide 28, 'Main categories of concepts ...'     (1E43)

[13:20] Mark Underwood: Which ISO stds?     (1E44)

[13:20] ToddSchneider: On slide 29, 'Some detail issues from my perspective'     (1E45)

[13:22] Donna Fritzsche: I really like slide 29 - thank-you for sharing these observations (and, the whole talk, also!)     (1E46)

[13:22] ToddSchneider: On slide 30, 'A final comment ... '     (1E47)

[13:24] LeoObrst: @BobYoung: slide 29, final bullet: could have multiple vocabularies mapped to the ontologies, which would capture at least some of these terminological differences.     (1E48)

[13:24] RaviSharma: Bob Excellent coverage of the area and especially open questions at the end.     (1E49)

[13:29] ToddSchneider: On slide 3, 'Current Approach to Managing Complexity'     (1E50)

[13:36] Mark Underwood: Kevin - Is this the Moulton work referenced? http://web.mit.edu/smadnick/www/wp/2009-02.pdf     (1E51)

[13:36] RaviSharma: slide 6     (1E52)

[13:42] RaviSharma: Kevin how do you model improvements in knowledge for example drones vs (need to develop piloted aircraft) thus changing domains in defense with space based, domain aware and nextgen airspace cababilities, how these affect ontologies?     (1E53)

[13:43] ChristiKapp: Please repeat IRMA acronym (I ? Reconfigurable Matrix of Alternatives)     (1E54)

[13:44] ToddSchneider: IRMA = Interactive Reconfigurable Matrix of Alternatives     (1E55)

[13:44] Mark Underwood: Interactive     (1E56)

[13:46] RaviSharma: Kevin - I am sure you know but there are solvers such as Comsol, Adapco, Matlab, etc. that execute physics including material properties as you subselect mach levels, yes we can use them in future.     (1E57)

[13:49] ToddSchneider: Ravi, integrating the tools you referenced and their data into a useful form is non-trivial.     (1E58)

[13:51] RaviSharma: Todd, Yes I agre -but Kevin just gave Matlab example, also admire work on moving ontology in to IRMA (is it a case of interoperability between ontology and other solutions?) for decision support, good work.     (1E59)

[13:55] RaviSharma: Kevin IRMA?     (1E60)

[13:56] ToddSchneider: IRMA = Interactive Reconfigurable Matrix of Alternatives     (1E61)

[13:56] KevinLynch: IRMA is Interactive Reconfigurable Matrix of Alternatives. cite:     (1E62)

[13:57] KevinLynch: Concept Selection Using an Interactive Reconfigureble Matrix of Alternatives, 45th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, January 8-11, 2007     (1E63)

[13:58] KevinLynch: Ravi: the OpenMETA tool suite has several solvers included, and that's a great idea to make use of them. I'll have to look more closely at them.     (1E64)

[14:00] KevinLynch: Mark: Moulton's work is Applying Semantic Technology to Early Stage Defense Capability Planning Analysis Based on JCIDS Artifacts. Let me see if I can find a link.     (1E65)

[14:03] RaviSharma: Michael - how will we manage ontologies, through upper level or other tools as to where to inject ontology rules, inferences, in the marketing or supply chain or assembly?     (1E66)

[14:03] KevinLynch: Ravi, your question about drones and changing domains is magnificent! The short answer is, we don't know yet!     (1E67)

[14:03] Donna Fritzsche: Michael, thats an interesting vision. The interplay between top-down and bottom-up self-directing objects comes to mind. Is there an uber-process..how does the exchange happen.     (1E68)

[14:05] Donna Fritzsche: Michael - great point - over-reliance on terms vs the underlying concepts.     (1E69)

[14:06] Donna Fritzsche: Reiterating Michael - understand where the differences are w/respect to terms/concepts.     (1E70)

[14:09] RaviSharma: Michael - we need more clarity on how to apply, referring to your slides say same logic in app level and domain level ontologies, how to inject them in apps where separation of business rules would involve reverse engineering and costs of applying ontologies?     (1E71)

[14:14] Mark Underwood: Michael's slide 6 (Implicit Semantics) is a depressing description of the current state of affairs in the software development life cycle     (1E72)

[14:16] Mark Underwood: Dassault is big in the product data management space, where model development in one form or another occurs, but I see no discussion of that in their product lit     (1E73)

[14:16] ChristiKapp: Could you see MBSE being applied to complex corporate systems as well? Large event-driven architectures ?     (1E74)

[14:17] MichaelGruninger: The Distributed Ontology Language (DOL) being standardized within OMG contains a set of possible relationships between ontologies     (1E75)

[14:19] MichaelGruninger: @Mark Underwood: I think we can make it work by doing ontology-based implementations (i.e. starting with ontologies, developing system models that conform to the ontologies, and then implementing software that conforms to the system models     (1E76)

[14:20] Mark Underwood: Michael: When consulting Google search for Dassault PDM, instead GS returns the 2015 Springer book Concurrent Engineering in the 21st Century with cites Uschold and Gruninger -- i.e., no deployed products     (1E77)

[14:24] Mark Underwood: Bob + Kevin :) funding-driven reconfigurability     (1E78)

[14:29] RaviSharma: Mark - Great point, benefits will drive re-configurability with built-in ontologies but intelligently built in so as to be upgradable without having to re develop systems, i.e. plug and play?     (1E79)

[14:30] Mark Underwood: RE standards + terminology, not just for mfg, I am reminded of Sue Ellen Wright's presentation to the Summit I think in 2011 SueEllenWright     (1E80)

[14:30] RaviSharma: Thanks Todd and others.     (1E81)

[14:30] Donna Fritzsche: Thank-you everyone!     (1E82)

[14:30] Mark Underwood: Michael - thx for reminder re: DOL     (1E83)

[14:31] Mark Underwood: Thanks Bob and Kevin - much appreciate your time (hi Kevin from a Tucson native)     (1E84)

Audio Recording     (1F)