From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

Ontology Summit 2014 (Pre-launch) Community Input and Planning Session - Thu 2013-12-05     (1)

  • Summit Theme: Semantic Web, Big Data, and Applied Ontology ...(exact title to be fine tuned at this session)     (1A)
  • Co-chairs: Professor MichaelGruninger (IAOA; U of Toronto) & Dr. LeoObrst (ONTOLOG; MITRE)     (1B)
  • Agenda: This is a (pre-launch) communitywide brainstorming and planning session for OntologySummit2014     (1C)

  • Dial-in:     (1E4)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1E4A)
    • in view of recently reported skype connection issues, this is not recommended (especially for speakers) although it may still work for some ... Skype: joinconference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="joinconference") ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ... ref.)     (1E4B)
      • when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (1E4B1)
      • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype? ...     (1E4B2)
        • Add the contact "joinconference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "joinconference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 141184# when prompted.     (1E4B2A)
        • you may connect to the user:"joinconference" even if the skype GUI shows that this user is offline!     (1E4B2B)
      • Can't find Skype Dial pad? ...     (1E4B3)
        • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1E4B3A)
        • for Linux Skype users: if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. ... (ref.)     (1E4B3B)
      • if you are using skype and the connection to "joinconference" is not holding up, try using (your favorite POTS or VoIP line, etc.) either your phone, skype-out or google-voice and call the US dial-in number: +1 (206) 402-0100 ... when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (1E4B4)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/ ... view-only password: "ontolog"     (1E5)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1E5A)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the slides above (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1E5B)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1E6A)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1E6B)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) summit_20131205@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1E6C)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1E7)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1E7A)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1E7B)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1E7C)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1E7D)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1E9)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1E11)

Attendees     (1G)

Abstract     (1H)

The upcoming Ontology Summit 2014 is co-organized by Ontolog, NIST, NCOR, NCBO, IAOA, NCO_NITRD.     (1H1)

This is the 9th year we are organizing this annual, international, open Ontology Summit event. The general format of the event comprises a series of both virtual and face-to-face activities that span about 3 months (roughly, January through mid April each year). These activities include a vigorous three-month online discourse on the theme of the Summit, which, for this upcoming season, virtual panel discussions, research activities, and so on, which will culminate in a two-day face-to-face workshop and symposium at the NCO_NITRD in Arlington, Virginia, USA. Each year, we publish a Summit Communiqu�� to offer a message from the Summit participants to the world-at-large as a signature activity of the Ontology Summit series.     (1H2)

Based on input collected and considering what would be of strategic importance to the ontology domain that is worthy of focusing the energy of the Ontology Summit community into, the co-organizers has picked "Semantic Web, Big Data, and Applied Ontology" as the theme for this Summit. The exact title and tagline can be further fine tuned during this session.     (1H3)

This is the (pre-launch) communitywide brainstorming and planning session for those who are passionate about the subject and would like to influence and help drive the outcome by helping refine the ideas, program, organization and process for the 2013 Ontology Summit season.     (1H4)

Our developing 2014 Ontology Summit home page is at: OntologySummit2014     (1H5)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1I)

0. Participant self-introduction (if size of participants is manageable) (15~30 seconds each)     (1I1)

1. Opening �� co-chairs - [ slides ]     (1I2)

2. Open floor for ideas on developing and executing the program (All) -- please refer to process above     (1I3)

2.1 Defining the theme and its scope     (1I4)
o the selected theme is: Semantic Web, Big Data, and Applied Ontology     (1I4A)
o fine-tuning (wordsmithing) our goals and objectives - ref.     (1I4B)

Theme: "Semantic Web, Big Data, and Applied Ontology"     (1I5)

This Summit provides a great opportunity for building bridges between the Semantic Web, Big Data,     (1I6)

and Applied Ontology communities. We would like to see a number of concrete objectives that we     (1I7)

could hopefully achieve. The Big Data and Semantic Web communities can bring a wide array of     (1I8)

real problems and technologies (e.g. performance and scalability challenges, automated reasoning tools),     (1I9)

while the Applied Ontology community can bring a large body of knowledge and content (i.e. ontologies)     (1I10)

and ontological analysis techniques.     (1I11)

Specific issues we can attempt to address, include:     (1I12)

  • What ontologies are required by the Semantic Web / Big Data applications?     (1I13)

the applied ontology community to develop them?     (1I15)

  • Of the ontologies that are being widely used within the Semantic Web / Big Data community,     (1I16)

what kinds of analysis can be done with them?     (1I17)

  • How can reasoning tools being developed within the Semantic Web / Big Data community be applied     (1I18)

to the ontologies that are being developed by the applied ontology community?     (1I19)

  • What other semantic technologies can be used to support the ontology lifecycle?     (1I20)

... (building on the results of last year's Summit).     (1I21)

o fine-tuning (wordsmithing) the title and tagline     (1I22A)
2.2 Brainstorming on ideas that support the theme - ref. OntologySummit/Suggestions     (1I23)
o Crafting a program that will allow us to make the best out of this next Ontology Summit     (1I23A)
o Approach and Execution     (1I23B)
o who (organizations, individuals) should we really try to engaging     (1I23C)
o Tracks, Topics, Speakers, Invitees, Survey(s), Hackathon(s), Website, Public Relations, ... and more     (1I23D)

3. A call for volunteers and champions ... and, getting ourselves organized - note:     (1I25)

First organizing committee meeting tomorrow - Fri 2013.12.06 - 2-Hr meeting starting: 6:30am PST / 9:30am EST / 3:30pm CET / 14:30 GMT/UTC - see: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2014/GettingOrganized#nid42AW     (1I26)
3.1 Members of the organizing committee will be invited to join by either the general co-chairs or the summit co-organizers.     (1I27)
3.2 Volunteers who want to join us in the organizing committee should so indicate during this meeting* and be prepared to participate at the first organizing committee meeting on Fri 2013.12.06 - 9:30am EST / 1430 UTC ... (*Those who cannot make it to this meeting should indicate their interesting to join the organizing committee by emailing the general co-chairs: <gruninger-at-mie.utoronto.ca>, <lobrst-at-mitre.org> with a copy to <peter.yim-at-cim3.com> by end-of-day Thu 2013.12.05)     (1I28)
3.3 Those who are planning to participate in the organizing committee should be cognizant of the prevailing committee process and expectations. (Ref. also: OntologySummit2012/Process)     (1I29)

4. A discussion and call for:     (1I30)

  • Communities we should engage, and collaborate with, to advance the agenda of this summit     (1I31)
  • Co-sponsors ...('Co-sponsors' are organizations who are providing technical or funding support, and/or endorsing the purpose (i.e. the objective) of this Ontology Summit)     (1I32)
  • Recommendations on candidates for the Advisory Committee     (1I33)

5. Summary and wrap-up (co-chairs)     (1I34)

Proceedings     (1J)

Please refer to the above     (1J1)

IM Chat Transcript captured during the session    (1J2)

see raw transcript here.     (1J2A)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1J2B)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1J2C)

-- begin of in-session chat-transcript --     (1J2D)


Chat transcript from room: summit_20131205     (1J2E)

2013-12-05 GMT-08:00 [PST]     (1J2F)


[8:47] Peter P. Yim: Welcome to the     (1J2G)

Ontology Summit 2014 (Pre-launch) Community Input and Planning Session - Thu 2013-12-05     (2)

Summit Theme: Semantic Web, Big Data, and Applied Ontology     (2A)

...(exact title to be fine tuned at this session)     (2B)

Co-chairs: Professor Michael Grüninger (IAOA; U of Toronto) & Dr. Leo Obrst (ONTOLOG; MITRE)     (2C)

AGENDA:     (2D)

  • 2. Open floor for ideas on developing and executing the program - discussion: All     (2F)
  • 3. A call for volunteers and champions ... and, getting organized - discussion: All     (2G)
  • 4. A call for communities (we should engage/collaborate with), co-sponsors, and recommendations for Advisory Committee members - discussion: All     (2H)

Logistics:     (2J)

  • (if you haven't already done so) please click on "settings" (top center) and morph from "anonymous" to your RealName     (2L)
  • Mute control (phone keypad): *7 to un-mute ... *6 to mute     (2M)

(i.e. even if it says it is "offline," you should still be able to connect to it.)     (2P)

    • if you are using skype and the connection to "joinconference" is not holding up, try using (your favorite POTS or     (2Q1)

VoIP line, etc.) either your phone, skype-out or google-voice and call the US dial-in number: +1 (206) 402-0100     (2R)

... when prompted enter Conference ID: 141184#     (2S)

Proceedings     (2AB)

[9:01] anonymous morphed into Kingsley Idehen     (2AB1)

[9:07] anonymous morphed into Jens Ortmann     (2AB2)

[9:20] anonymous morphed into JeffCox     (2AB3)

[9:22] anonymous morphed into Melanie Courtot     (2AB4)

[9:25] vnc211 morphed into vnc2     (2AB5)

[9:30] Jens Ortmann: Hello, I just joined the conference call via Skype, I will just stay muted, the     (2AB7)

connection is a bit noisy.     (2AB8)

[9:31] Jens Ortmann: is there anything I need to do for the VNC (I'm using safari)     (2AB9)

[9:32] anonymous1 morphed into Mark Fox     (2AB10)

[9:33] anonymous1 morphed into ToniFarley     (2AB11)

[9:34] anonymous1 morphed into Francesca Quattri     (2AB12)

[9:35] anonymous1 morphed into GaryBergCross     (2AB13)

[9:36] Peter P. Yim: == Michael Grüninger and Leo Obrst starts the session ... see slides at:     (2AB14)

Candidate Tracks (from the opening slides):     (2AB16)

Track 1. Content: Ontologies and Ontological Analysis * What ontologies are required by the Semantic     (2AB17)

Web applications? * If these ontologies are not available in any current ontology repository, how     (2AB18)

can we engage the applied ontology community to develop them? * Can we apply existing analysis     (2AB19)

techniques to ontologies that are being widely used within the Semantic Web community?     (2AB20)

Track 2. Reasoning Tools and Techniques * How can reasoning tools being developed within the     (2AB21)

Semantic Web community be applied to the ontologies that are being developed by the applied ontology     (2AB22)

community? * What other semantic technologies can be used to support the ontology lifecycle?     (2AB23)

(building on the results of last year's Summit).     (2AB24)

Track 3. Ontology Languages * What expressiveness is required by the ontologies that are being     (2AB25)

developed by the applied ontology community? * What role is play by decidability and tractability in     (2AB26)

applications of ontologies?     (2AB27)

Track 4. Ontological Challenges in Big Data * How can Big Data leverage existing ontologies? * What     (2AB28)

requirements do problems encountered with Big Data impose on the design of ontologies?     (2AB29)

[9:51] Peter P. Yim: == Open Discussion ... Leo Obrst moderating     (2AB30)

[9:52] Peter P. Yim: topics for discussion * Approaches: program, process, ... * Topics / Tracks *     (2AB31)

Collaborators (partnering communities) * Identifying Experts / Speakers / Invitees * Marketing /     (2AB32)

[9:42] Todd Schneider: Leo, Michael, What about a track to address uses w.r.t. big data?     (2AB34)

[9:45] GaryBergCross: I would love some improvement or alternatives to SKOS which is widely used.     (2AB35)

[9:51] Todd Schneider: Gary, what about a general topic of 'correcting' existing (syntactically     (2AB36)

correct) ontologies?     (2AB37)

[9:52] GaryBergCross: @ Todd as to 'correcting' existing (syntactically correct) ontologies that is     (2AB38)

perhaps too general....     (2AB39)

[9:49] Todd Schneider: Where might [dynamic] creation/modification of ontologies fit?     (2AB40)

[9:51] Amanda Vizedom: RE: strawman track 1: "Content: Ontologies and Ontological Analysis" (content     (2AB41)

& repositories) -- I think that this framing is natural within the formal ontology - centric     (2AB42)

community, but not from a SW ontology use perspective. Here's a counter-proposal: frame in terms of:     (2AB43)

SW Ontologies: Supply & Demand. Subtopics include what is mentioned here, but gives even weight to     (2AB44)

looking at: how is semantically-enhanced data published or exposed on the web? How is     (2AB45)

semantically-enhanced data consumed on the web?     (2AB46)

[9:52] Michael Grüninger: @Amanda: there are several repository efforts like Swoogle and Tones that     (2AB47)

would fit into the idea of content     (2AB48)

[9:54] Amanda Vizedom: @Michael, yes, but let's also look at this as very active public vocabulary     (2AB49)

users do, as with schema.org, Linked Open Vocabularies, etc.     (2AB50)

[9:58] Todd Schneider: I think Amanda's suggestion could fall under the 'Big Data' track.     (2AB51)

[9:54] Michael Grüninger: @Amanda: that would make a great session     (2AB52)

[10:06] Michael Grüninger: I saw each track as following "supply and demand" metaphor     (2AB53)

[9:52] Kingsley Idehen: +1 for theme     (2AB54)

[9:52] anonymous1 morphed into Tim Finin     (2AB55)

[9:48] Leo Obrst: For candidate track 2 "Reasoning Tools and Techniques", we can also leverage the     (2AB56)

RulesReasoningLP mini-series, currently ongoing:     (2AB57)

[9:52] Henson Graves: The invited speakers for RulesReasoningLP mini-series session 4, if they     (2AB59)

accept, will be addressing at some level many of these topics, ontologies, data storage for large     (2AB60)

scale applications, reasoning, etc.     (2AB61)

[9:52] Andrea Westerinen: What about ontology design patterns as discussed on the SWAO SIG? Where     (2AB62)

would that fit?     (2AB63)

[9:53] Michael Grüninger: @Andrea: I saw ontology patterns fitting into the Content track. We can     (2AB64)

modify the title and be more explicit about the scope to reflect this     (2AB65)

[9:54] Andrea Westerinen: @Michael I would agree but wanted to confirm.     (2AB66)

[9:53] Melanie Courtot: I like the theme and tracks, but I wonder how tracks will relate to each     (2AB67)

other and interact. Will a few datasets of interest be identified for example?     (2AB68)

(capturing below) for a description of the theme, objectives and issues we might tackle ... please     (2AB70)

discuss and fine tune     (2AB71)

[9:54] Peter P. Yim: Theme: "Semantic Web, Big Data, and Applied Ontology" (42EQ)     (2AB72)

This Summit provides a great opportunity for building bridges between the Semantic Web, Big Data,     (2AB73)

and Applied Ontology communities. We would like to see a number of concrete objectives that we     (2AB74)

could hopefully achieve. The Big Data and Semantic Web communities can bring a wide array of real     (2AB75)

problems and technologies (e.g. performance and scalability challenges, automated reasoning tools),     (2AB76)

while the Applied Ontology community can bring a large body of knowledge and content (i.e.     (2AB77)

ontologies) and ontological analysis techniques. (42ER)     (2AB78)

Specific issues we can attempt to address, include: (42ES)     (2AB79)

  • What ontologies are required by the Semantic Web / Big Data applications? ** If these ontologies     (2AB80)

are not available in any current ontology repository, how can we engage the applied ontology     (2AB81)

community to develop them? (42ET)     (2AB82)

  • Of the ontologies that are being widely used within the Semantic Web / Big Data community,     (2AB83)

what kinds of analysis can be done with them? (42EU)     (2AB84)

  • How can reasoning tools being developed within the Semantic Web / Big Data community be applied     (2AB85)

to the ontologies that are being developed by the applied ontology community? (42EV)     (2AB86)

  • What other semantic technologies can be used to support the ontology lifecycle? ... (building on     (2AB87)

the results of last year's Summit). (42EW)     (2AB88)

[9:55] Jack Ring: Build bridges between three technology nodes does not acknowledge the Value to     (2AB89)

Society node.     (2AB90)

[9:56] Mike Bennett: On Track 1 / ontologies, I came across a paper which makes a distinction between     (2AB91)

conceptual ontologies and ones in applications, using SKOS. This may be relevant to some of what     (2AB92)

people are asking about SKOS, and might be something to explore. So I guess that validates the need     (2AB93)

to explore that kind of stuff in Track 1?     (2AB94)

[9:53] Ali Hashemi: @Gary - What about SKOS-XL, or is that more of the same?     (2AB95)

[9:56] GaryBergCross: @Ali Yes SKOS-XL seems like more of the same model, but like OWL-2 it does try     (2AB96)

to address issues of interest to some.     (2AB97)

[9:56] Ali Hashemi: @Gary - what would you like to see?     (2AB98)

[9:58] GaryBergCross: @Ali - I would like to see something better than the thesaurus approach with     (2AB99)

relations like "broader" & "narrower."     (2AB100)

[9:58] Michael Grüninger: @everyone -- if people have alternative ideas for tracks, please post them     (2AB101)

in the chat     (2AB102)

[9:59] Amanda Vizedom: Recommend to anyone unfamiliar with the SW supply and demand situation:     (2AB103)

"listen" in on public-vocabs.org mailing list for a while.     (2AB104)

[9:59] Kingsley Idehen: @AmandaVizedom: maybe we could use the theme title: Ontologies, Semantic Web,     (2AB105)

Big Data, and Society :-)     (2AB106)

[9:59] Henson Graves: I assume that value to society can be negative as well as possible     (2AB107)

[10:01] Kingsley Idehen: Major challenges: Privacy, Data Integration etc..     (2AB108)

[10:01] Terry Longstreth: We're searching for the 'utility functions'     (2AB109)

[10:12] GaryBergCross: @AmandaVizedom @Kingsley On this alternative theme title: Ontologies,     (2AB110)

Semantic Web, Big Data, and Society - I like keeping the idea of Applied Ontology in the title -     (2AB111)

such application will help serve larger social needs.     (2AB112)

[10:17] Francesca Quattri: About the theme title:thumb up to KingsleyIdehen's proposal (""Ontologies,     (2AB113)

Semantic Web, Big Data and Society"") with a slight change: What about [...] and the users (I guess     (2AB114)

that all discussions on titles are for now just tentative)     (2AB115)

[10:13] Mike Bennett: @Gary +1     (2AB116)

[9:57] Michael Grüninger: @Amanda: Do you see your ideas forming a different track, or would this     (2AB117)

focus one of the suggested tracks?     (2AB118)

[10:01] Amanda Vizedom: @Michael, I think there are a few ways to cast it. It could be in the framing     (2AB119)

of the whole theme and org committee. It could be a separate track. It could be a re-framing of     (2AB120)

track 1, though it broadens it... Most importantly, I think it should be introduced in substance *before*     (2AB121)

the ontology content exploration.     (2AB122)

[10:02] GaryBergCross: A recent AAAI workshop had a session that included topics like - the use of     (2AB123)

semantic metadata and ontologies for Big Data, the use of formal and informal semantics, the     (2AB124)

integration and interplay of deductive (semantic) and statistical methods, methods to establish     (2AB125)

semantic interoperability between data sources ways of dealing with semantic heterogeneity,     (2AB126)

scalability of Semantic Web methods and tools, and semantic approaches to the explication of     (2AB127)

requirements from eScience applications.     (2AB128)

[10:04] anonymous1 morphed into hypergrove ... hypergrove morphed into JohnMcClure     (2AB129)

[10:00] Tim Finin: I think we should add a topic or make room in an existing topic for techniques     (2AB130)

that can automatically or semi-automatically map a given dataset into a semantic representation     (2AB131)

(e.g., into RDF) using a given ontology. I think this is a big part of enabling big semantic data.     (2AB132)

Examples of this process include the framework that DBpedia has developed and also the various     (2AB133)

systems that try to the data in tables into RDF (e.g., http://bit.ly/17VN2Gi).     (2AB134)

[10:02] Melanie Courtot: @Tim: I like that - exploring practical ways or making this happen, missing     (2AB135)

tools/support     (2AB136)

[10:03] ToniFarley: +1 Tim's idea     (2AB137)

[10:03] Amanda Vizedom: @TimFinin: Yes! That is an example of things that would come up under     (2AB138)

consumption/use and then lead to further topics under many of the tracks mentioned.     (2AB139)

[10:08] Michael Grüninger: @TimFinin -- I agree that would be a great session topic (in whatever     (2AB140)

Track it resides)     (2AB141)

[10:02] Peter P. Yim: with KingsleyIdehen's help, we have been successful in engaging Dan Brickley     (2AB142)

(@danbri, of FAOF, SKOS and Schema.org fame) to join us in the organizing committee this summit     (2AB143)

[10:03] Kingsley Idehen: About @danbri (aka. Dan Brickley) read: http://danbri.org     (2AB145)

[10:03] Amanda Vizedom: Delighted to hear that @danbri will be on org committee.     (2AB146)

[10:06] Kingsley Idehen: Additional information relating to @danbri:     (2AB147)

collection from slideshare)     (2AB149)

[10:07] Michael Grüninger: It would also be great if each track was a balance of theoretical ideas     (2AB150)

and applications/test case studies     (2AB151)

[10:07] Amanda Vizedom: +1 for @Michael's idea that theory and application be woven into each track,     (2AB152)

rather than segregated into separate tracks.     (2AB153)

[10:08] Peter P. Yim: ditto (+1 for @Michael's idea that theory and application be woven into each track)     (2AB154)

[10:07] Melanie Courtot: Are the test case studies (or some of them) intended to be shared between tracks?     (2AB155)

[10:09] Kingsley Idehen: (responding to Jack's verbal comments) @JackRing: URL ?     (2AB156)

[10:13] Jack Ring: This URL introduces the forthcoming chipset that is the alternative to the     (2AB157)

vonNeumann stored program computer which is not suitable for processing complex, conditional webs of     (2AB158)

information. Notice particularly the IEEE paper.     (2AB159)

rt-micron-technology-inc     (2AB162)

[10:15] Jack Ring: The URL's provided are not the only instances of new kinds of hardware     (2AB163)

architectures. We should be alert to these 'platform' opportunities.     (2AB164)

[10:09] Francesca Quattri: Maybe a point on the semantics of the ""Semantic Web"" could be raised too.     (2AB165)

We already had some discussions about lexical disambiguation and adequate terminology, especially     (2AB166)

when it comes to combine the three let's called them infrastructures     (2AB167)

[10:10] Michael Grüninger: (paraphrasing MikeBennett's verbal comment) @MikeBennet -- Bringing     (2AB168)

ontologies from the lab to the web     (2AB169)

[10:11] Mike Bennett: @Michael that's a nice way of putting it.     (2AB170)

[10:11] Amanda Vizedom: I do think that it would be usefully focusing to make sure not only that each     (2AB171)

track is open to the ""supply & demand"" view, but that each track is put together with some awareness     (2AB172)

of current SW activities.     (2AB173)

[10:12] Amanda Vizedom: @Michael -- and also from the web to the lab! E.g., emergent issues and     (2AB174)

characteristics     (2AB175)

[10:12] Terry Longstreth: @Michael- and the converse - Bringing them from the web to the lab     (2AB176)

[10:13] Michael Grüninger: @Terry: +1 There and back again :-)     (2AB177)

[10:16] Leo Obrst: Web <==> Lab     (2AB178)

[10:12] Andrea Westerinen: There is also the issue of ""broad use"" ontologies and ""specific     (2AB179)

application"" ontologies. Where the former is simpler and more general, the latter is more specific     (2AB180)

and (likely?) more complex.     (2AB181)

[10:13] Mark Fox: As part of Track 1, how can we detect when a particular ontology is gaining     (2AB182)

traction on the semantic web? What portions are being used and why?     (2AB183)

[10:14] Christoph Lange: @MarkFox +1     (2AB184)

[10:15] Christoph Lange: @MarkFox I hope that linked open data technology will be helpful here, but     (2AB185)

we could also aim at detecting usage of an ontology aside of linked data.     (2AB186)

[10:17] Mark Fox: Another issue is how relevant are efforts like schema.org? I find them to be both     (2AB187)

sparse and not well thought it. Ultimately, I may use a couple of classes and properties but they     (2AB188)

add little semantically to the effort.     (2AB189)

[10:17] GaryBergCross: @MarkFox The last time the Summit had an effort to report on particular     (2AB190)

ontology use (traction) we were told much of this was hidden App use. This is perhaps less true now     (2AB191)

or with LOD/semantic web.     (2AB192)

[10:16] Andrea Westerinen: I am worried if we focus only on the ""broad use"", then we miss the     (2AB193)

patterns, learnings and growth applications for ontologies and SW. Semantics and domains broadly     (2AB194)

vary. We will never find something of interest to everyone - unless we look more broadly.     (2AB195)

[10:18] Andrea Westerinen: My ""broadly"" in my comment was meant to mean across domains and specific to domains.     (2AB196)

[10:18] Terry Longstreth: per Todd - Evolution of ontologies in use     (2AB197)

[10:19] Michael Grüninger: Do people see the issue of Ontology Languages as being important, or too stale?     (2AB198)

[10:23] Peter P. Yim: @MichaelGruninger: re your question ""Do people see the issue of Ontology Languages     (2AB199)

as being important?"" ... Yes, indeed, but we might consider that being part of the other tracks,     (2AB200)

rather than having it as one track ... unless there are specific objectives/goals we can clearly     (2AB201)

identify that this track can deliver     (2AB202)

[10:19] Terry Longstreth: that is - do we see examples of self organizing and evolving ontologies     (2AB203)

[10:19] Kingsley Idehen: Specifically, we should consider: addressing Big Data's variety challenge     (2AB204)

through applied ontologies     (2AB205)

[10:20] Michael Grüninger: @Amanda: I see this as being a key deliverable for this year's Summit --     (2AB206)

what is the current situation (capabilities, successes, challenges) with the basic issues of     (2AB207)

ontologies vis-a-vis each community     (2AB208)

[10:21] Todd Schneider: Michael, there is need to discuss 'languages' in the context(s) of there     (2AB209)

limitations and exclusions of expressivity (e.g., Horn clauses). To be of '     (2AB210)

[10:22] Todd Schneider: 'real' use in systems, more expressivity is needed.     (2AB211)

[10:22] Michael Grüninger: @Amanda: What if each Track is organized around a major challenge in     (2AB212)

bringing ontologies from the lab to Web and from the Web to the lab?     (2AB213)

[10:22] Michael Grüninger: Of course, this would presuppose that we know what the challenges are :-)     (2AB214)

[10:22] Todd Schneider: There are usually multiple major challenges.     (2AB215)

[10:23] Amanda Vizedom: +1 for reasoning as track -- *to be defined in part* by looking at current     (2AB216)

state of, and challenges for, reasoning on/over/with semantic web content.     (2AB217)

[10:23] ToniFarley: Challenges vary by domain as well, so that may be difficult to generalize     (2AB218)

[10:23] Amanda Vizedom: @Michael, I like that, with caveat that I also agree with Todd that there are     (2AB219)

usually more than 1.     (2AB220)

[10:24] Amanda Vizedom: Note that *consumption* of SW data is often private.     (2AB221)

-Logic-Venn.html -- illustrating some important overlaps     (2AB224)

[10:25] Kingsley Idehen: Similar could be constructed re. Big Data, Ontologies, and Semantic Web     (2AB225)

[10:27] Amanda Vizedom: Mailing list featuring real-life discussion of consumption needs, issues with     (2AB226)

[10:27] Andrea Westerinen: @Amanda +1, I have been there :-)     (2AB228)

[10:28] Michael Grüninger: @Andrea -- I agree with your points. I saw your comments about patterns as     (2AB229)

part of the approach of bringing ontological content from experiences in the Semantic Web to the     (2AB230)

rest of the ontology community     (2AB231)

[10:28] Amanda Vizedom: @Andrea :-) I think it's a good eye-opener or those not exposed much to     (2AB232)

active SW publication and consumption.     (2AB233)

[10:31] Krzysztof Janowicz: Personally, I would love a track on how to overcome the ontology     (2AB234)

engineering bottleneck by scaling up the design of reusable and flexible ontologies to make the SW     (2AB235)

stack fit for big data.     (2AB236)

[10:32] Andrea Westerinen: @Krzystztof Would that overlap with patterns as well?     (2AB237)

[10:32] Krzysztof Janowicz: yes ... Krzysztof Janowicz: absolutely, patterns would play a huge role     (2AB238)

[10:34] Krzysztof Janowicz: @AndreaWesterinen: IMHO, this would have many aspects for at least 2 or 3     (2AB240)

virtual sessions. Once could be about including machine learning and related methods to mine     (2AB241)

primitives and patterns for ontologies, another session would be on how to ensure that ontologies     (2AB242)

are reusable and flexible, another one would be about lowering the initial hurdle for domain experts     (2AB243)

to use these ontologies to publish, retrieve, and integrate data.     (2AB244)

[10:35] Andrea Westerinen: Perhaps the examination of patterns is then about describing it AND its     (2AB245)

uses INCLUDING big data, reasoning, etc.     (2AB246)

[10:35] JohnMcClure: very supportive of a session for exploring ontology bottlenecks     (2AB247)

[10:28] Melanie Courtot: wrt mappings, I think it would be interesting to see how to integrate     (2AB248)

sometimes overlapping resources     (2AB249)

[10:32] Stefano Borgo: I need to go, sorry.     (2AB250)

[10:33] Peter P. Yim: Thanks, Stefano ... join us tomorrow if you can     (2AB251)

[10:36] Todd Schneider: Have to go. From what I've heard and read it appears that the proposed tracks     (2AB252)

can accommodate all of the suggestions. But there will be overlap among the particular     (2AB253)

subjects/problems/challenges addressed (which I don't see as problem). Cheers.     (2AB254)

[10:36] Peter P. Yim: bye, Todd ... talk to you tomorrow, hopefully     (2AB255)

[10:37] Mike Bennett: @Krzysztof I'm very interested in the area of common, reusable ontology     (2AB256)

material - mid level ontologies. Many industry and application ontologies may not currently make     (2AB257)

full use of common abstractions (for instance things tend to go into industry verticals even if they     (2AB258)

have a common concept like Contract or Transaction).     (2AB259)

[10:38] Krzysztof Janowicz: Mike Bennett, yes but this mid level is really underdeveloped     (2AB260)

[10:38] Michael Grüninger: Would people like to see Track 1 retitled to ""Ontology Patterns""?     (2AB261)

[10:38] Krzysztof Janowicz: it needs more work. patterns are one part of it by there is more to it in     (2AB262)

terms of alignments etc     (2AB263)

[10:39] Terry Longstreth: Where and how does the top down meet the bottom up?     (2AB264)

[10:39] Mike Bennett: It is. I think many of the existing mid level material may need to be framed     (2AB265)

within common upper ontology patterns, with concepts in an industry vertical needing to be promoted     (2AB266)

to a higher level abstraction if it's to become part of a reusable raft of concepts - for instance     (2AB267)

commitments, rights, activities.     (2AB268)

[10:40] Tim Finin: One area where ontologies will help is cybersecurity. For example, we can do a     (2AB269)

better job of detecting intrusions, zero-day attacks, advanced persistent threats and low-and-slow     (2AB270)

attacks if we can integrate and analyze information for multiple layers, computers, systems and     (2AB271)

networks. Having better ontologies for computer system-related entities, products, processes, states     (2AB272)

and events and also vulnerabilities will help. the amount of data can be large.     (2AB273)

[10:40] Andrea Westerinen: @Michael Maybe Track 1 is about "Common, Reusable Ontology Material"     (2AB274)

keying off MikeBennett's comment.     (2AB275)

[10:40] Krzysztof Janowicz: IMHO, the key insight is that we can stay on the level of small, data and     (2AB276)

query informed, and purpose-driven ontologies and then work more on the ontology alignment layer.     (2AB277)

This will make the use of ontologies scale.     (2AB278)

[10:40] Michael Grüninger: @Andrea: Sounds good     (2AB279)

[10:41] GaryBergCross: @Krzysztof I agree that Track 1 is more than patterns, but we might modify     (2AB280)

the title to indicate that from "What ontologies are required by the Semantic Web / Big Data     (2AB281)

applications?"     (2AB282)

[10:41] Mike Bennett: @Andrea or that may be one thread of subject matter within that track? The     (2AB283)

point at the moment is that if that conversation wants to happen, does it fit into the tracks we     (2AB284)

have or do we need to re-frame them? Or narrow down the title?     (2AB285)

[10:41] Andrea Westerinen: @Krzysztof +1     (2AB286)

[10:41] Peter P. Yim: @GaryGannon - (re your verbal comments) well said ... please document that here     (2AB287)

[10:47] Gary Gannon: It may make sense to start the summit by defining key goals for integrating     (2AB288)

semantic web, big data, and ontology technologies. Focusing on the respective strengths and     (2AB289)

weaknesses of each of these technologies could help shape discussions about how to best integrate     (2AB290)

these fields. Additionally, there should be focus on what sort of problems can be solved by     (2AB291)

integrating these technologies.     (2AB292)

[10:42] GaryBergCross: @Andrea +1 on your take on Track 1.     (2AB293)

[10:42] Mark Fox: A small issue with the title of Track 4: the vast majority of Big Data applications     (2AB294)

are really data analytics applications whose data sizes are relatively small. But many of them     (2AB295)

require the integration of data from many sources.     (2AB296)

[10:42] Andrea Westerinen: @Mike I was looking to expand the title, not narrow it. It seems all     (2AB297)

the "narrowing" gets to be too much.     (2AB298)

[10:42] Krzysztof Janowicz: @gary: yes, imho it would be good to rephrase that but I am new to the     (2AB299)

procedure and leave it to all of you to decide     (2AB300)

[10:42] Mike Bennett: @Andrea great.     (2AB301)

[10:44] Michael Grüninger: @MarkFox: Agreed -- ontologies play a bigger role in the Variety aspect of     (2AB302)

Big Data. more than Volume and Velocity     (2AB303)

[10:44] GaryBergCross: @Krzysztof This task of coming up with a title is a bit of a chicken and egg     (2AB304)

problem and I think we should be flexible and use the title as a topical scoping guide with the     (2AB305)

supporting details to be developed to show topical cohesion and relevance.     (2AB306)

[10:45] Krzysztof Janowicz: @MarkFox: yes, variety is the key     (2AB308)

[10:45] Krzysztof Janowicz: +1 for heterogeneity and mappings     (2AB309)

[10:45] Peter P. Yim: Mark Fox: inclusion of "data analytics" into track 4     (2AB310)

[10:45] Amanda Vizedom: +1 for explicit inclusion of Data Analytics & heterogeneity in concerns of     (2AB311)

(Big) data track     (2AB312)

[10:45] Mark Fox: I have to go.     (2AB313)

[10:46] Francesca Quattri: About what I tried to say: (1) who's the final reader (in the sense of: Do     (2AB314)

we plan to scratch the surface with a theoretical guideline or to propose real-case scenarios and     (2AB315)

case studies)? (answer given) (2) some of the challenges from the ontological point of view are     (2AB316)

given (Michael's slides), but what about the challenges from the point of view of Semantic Web and     (2AB317)

BD? and finally (3) Why? What are the advantage in our joint effort? What do we plan to achieve? The     (2AB318)

focus, from my personal point of view, should be on the users     (2AB319)

[10:46] GaryBergCross: I like that connection of variety and vast heterogeneity (V&V)     (2AB320)

[10:47] Mike Bennett: IS it about patterns or about meaning?     (2AB322)

[10:48] GaryBergCross: Semantic content??     (2AB323)

[10:48] Mike Bennett: Common reusable content in Track 1: Agree     (2AB324)

[10:48] Amanda Vizedom: ontological content?     (2AB325)

[10:49] Mike Bennett: Common reusable semantic content     (2AB326)

[10:49] Amanda Vizedom: (making clear vs. data content)     (2AB327)

[10:49] Michael Grüninger: Track 1: Common Reusable Semantic Content     (2AB328)

[10:49] Amanda Vizedom: +1 for Common reusable semantic content     (2AB329)

[10:49] GaryBergCross: I Like including semantic/ontological analysis in this - it doesn't have to     (2AB330)

be in the title.     (2AB331)

[10:51] Mike Bennett: Semantic Web applications => Semantic Technology applications ?     (2AB332)

[10:51] Marcela Vegetti: +1 for Common Reusable Semantic Content     (2AB333)

[10:51] GaryBergCross: @MikeBennett Yes technology is the broader concept.     (2AB334)

[10:52] Mike Bennett: I have to drop off at the top of the hour. I suggest that you volunteer me for     (2AB335)

Track 1 so that I can say I had no choice in the matter.     (2AB336)

[10:52] Andrea Westerinen: I will volunteer for Track 1 Co-champion     (2AB337)

[10:52] Christoph Lange: +1 for Common Reusable Semantic Content     (2AB338)

[10:53] GaryBergCross: I know that there is current work on reasoning tools, but might we include     (2AB339)

knowledge acquisition tools too??     (2AB340)

[10:54] Krzysztof Janowicz: Pascal and I could do that if it would be the proposed bottleneck topic     (2AB341)

[10:54] ShariqAhmedTariq: wouldn't Scalability issues be associated with track 4?     (2AB342)

[10:54] Amanda Vizedom: Common Reusable Semantic Content nicely covers potential subtopics such as: -     (2AB343)

What exists? How is it created & shared? Patterns & Methodologies for creation and sharing? What are     (2AB344)

some major challenges?     (2AB345)

[10:54] Michael Grüninger: Track 3: Overcoming Ontology Engineering Bottlenecks     (2AB346)

[10:55] Melanie Courtot: Sorry, I need to leave too.     (2AB347)

[10:56] Marcela Vegetti: +1 for Overcoming Ontology Engineering Bottlenecks     (2AB348)

[10:56] GaryBergCross: I like the bottleneck idea too.     (2AB349)

[10:57] Peter P. Yim: for those volunteering to help organize -see:     (2AB350)

[10:57] Peter P. Yim: First organizing committee meeting tomorrow - Fri 2013.12.06 - 2-Hr meeting     (2AB352)

starting: 6:30am PST / 9:30am EST / 3:30pm CET / 14:30 GMT/UTC - see:     (2AB353)

[10:57] Krzysztof Janowicz: this is 6:30 am PT?     (2AB355)

[10:58] Michael Grüninger: @Krzysztof: this will not be the regular time -- just for tomorrow     (2AB356)

[10:58] Peter P. Yim: @Krzysztof: yes, unfortunately (for you and I) ... the standing organizing     (2AB357)

committee meeting time has been Fridays 8:00am PST / 11:00am EST ... (tomorrow is special)     (2AB358)

[10:58] Tim Finin: yes to analytics!     (2AB359)

[10:59] Michael Grüninger: Track 4: Tackling the Variety Problem with Big Data?     (2AB361)

[11:15] Michael Grüninger: @Gary: The reference to variety in the title is merely the focus of the     (2AB362)

application of ontologies to Big Data     (2AB363)

[11:03] GaryBergCross: @MichaelGruninger Tackling the Variety Problem with Big Data doesn't seem     (2AB364)

right. Big data has a big heterogeneity problem but big data by itself doesn't solve it.     (2AB365)

[11:17] GaryBergCross: Michael OK changing to "in" resolved it.     (2AB366)

[11:00] Andrea Westerinen: I have to go. I will be on the call tomorrow. Thank you.     (2AB367)

[11:00] Francesca Quattri: question to Peter: is the communique off the tracks? is it supposed to be     (2AB368)

an overview of the topics and/or the tracks' work? I cannot remember     (2AB369)

[11:03] Peter P. Yim: @FrancescaQuattri - the communique will provide a synthesis of the track     (2AB370)

discourse, and present an agreed position by those involved in the summit     (2AB371)

[11:04] Peter P. Yim: Tim Finin: will advise whether can help in co-championing track 4     (2AB372)

[11:04] Tim Finin: I have to sign off now. Bye...     (2AB373)

[11:05] Peter P. Yim: thanks, Tim ... please try to join us tomorrow if you can     (2AB374)

[11:01] Mike Bennett: OK I have to drop off the call now.     (2AB375)

[11:01] Peter P. Yim: will you be there tomorrow, MikeBennett?     (2AB376)

[11:02] Peter P. Yim: great, talk to you tomorrow, Mike ... bye!     (2AB378)

[11:08] Peter P. Yim: need volunteers across the board - see roles we need to fill:     (2AB379)

[11:11] Amanda Vizedom: I need to think about what I can best contribute this year, but will plan to     (2AB381)

join tomorrow's call.     (2AB382)

[11:11] Peter P. Yim: great ... thank you, Amanda!     (2AB383)

[10:16] Peter P. Yim: @UAMS - Shariq ... can we have your full name, please     (2AB384)

[10:25] ShariqAhmedTariq: @PeterYim - Shariq Ahmed Tariq from UAMS (University of Arkansas for     (2AB385)

Medical Sciences)     (2AB386)

[10:26] Peter P. Yim: thank you, Shariq ... drop me an email, if you are not already on the     (2AB387)

[ontology-summit] mailing list, so I can get you subscribed     (2AB388)

[11:14] Peter P. Yim: ALL, I will subscribe those who rsvp'd to this session (particularly, those who     (2AB389)

emailed me, since I already have your email addresses). If you are not subscribed to the     (2AB390)

[ontology-summit] mailing list yet, please do so -     (2AB391)

(or drop me a line - peter.yim [at] cim3.com)     (2AB393)

[11:16] Peter P. Yim: ALL, Please mark you calendars for the Ontology Summit 2014 Launch Event - Thu     (2AB394)

2014.01.16 (same time)     (2AB395)

Those who are planning to join us in the organizing committee, please note that the first meeting is     (2AB396)

early tomorrow - Fri 2013.12.06 - 2-Hr meeting starting: 6:30am PST / 9:30am EST / 3:30pm CET /     (2AB397)

[11:17] Peter P. Yim: great session!     (2AB400)

[11:17] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 11:17am PST --     (2AB401)

-- end of in-session chat-transcript --     (2AB402)

Resources     (2AC)

  • To participate:     (2AC3)
    • please post further thoughts to the [ ontology-summit ] listserv     (2AC3A)
    • all subscribers to the previous summit discussion, and all who responded to today's call will automatically be subscribed to the [ ontology-summit ] listserv     (2AC3B)
    • if you are already subscribed, post to <ontology-summit [at] ontolog.cim3.net>     (2AC3C)
      • all previous subscribers on the list from the past year will be retained. (If you want to be removed, please by sending a blank email to <ontology-summit-leave [at] ontolog.cim3.net> from your subscribing email address, or send a note to <peter.yim@cim3.com> to request that be done for you.)     (2AC3C1)
    • (if you are not yet subscribed) you may subscribe yourself to the [ ontology-summit ] listserv, by sending a blank email to <ontology-summit-join [at] ontolog.cim3.net> from your subscribing email address, and then follow the instructions you receive back from the mailing list system.     (2AC3D)
    • Note that the [ ontology-summit ] listserv will be dedicated to the discourse around this year's summit theme. General ontology-related discussions should be deferred to the [ontolog-forum] mailing list. Those who are not subscribed to that list yet (i.e. not officially registered as members of the Ontolog community) are invited take a look over the Ontolog membership details, and get subscribed accordingly.     (2AC3E)

For the record ...     (2AC4)

How To Join (while the session is in progress)     (2AD)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (2AD4)