From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

Ontology Summit 2012: Pre-Symposium Session - Thu 2012-04-05     (1)

Summit Theme: OntologySummit2012: "Ontology for Big Systems"     (1A)

Session Topic: Pre-symposium preparation & Communique Review-II     (1B)

Session Co-chairs: MichaelGruninger, Todd Schneider & AliHashemi ... intro-slides     (1C)

OntologySummit2012_Communique Symposium Co-chairs: RamSriram & MichaelGruninger     (1D)

OntologySummit2012_Communique co-Lead Editors: ToddSchneider & AliHashemi     (1E)

Panelists:     (1F)

  • Dial-in:     (1J7D)
    • Phone (US): +1 (206) 402-0100 ... (long distance cost may apply)     (1J7D1)
    • when prompted enter PIN: 141184#     (1J7D2)
    • Skype: " joinconference " (use the PIN above) ... (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer)     (1J7D3)
      • for skype users who have trouble with finding the Skype Dial pad ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1J7D3A)
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1J7E)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1J7E1)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1J7E2)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the slides and material above (where applicable) and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1J7E3)
    • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (1J7F1)
    • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1J7F2)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) ontolog_20120405@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1J7F3)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1J7G)
    • Nominally, when a presentation is in progress, the moderator will mute everyone, except for the speaker.     (1J7G1)
    • To un-mute, press "*7" ... To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (1J7G2)
    • we will usually save all questions and discussions till after all presentations are through. You are encouraged to jot down questions onto the chat-area in the mean time (that way, they get documented; and you might even get some answers in the interim, through the chat.)     (1J7G3)
    • During the Q&A / discussion segment (when everyone is muted), If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please raise your hand (virtually) by clicking on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the session moderator (again, press "*7" on your phone to un-mute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*6" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1J7G4)
  • RSVP to peter.yim@cim3.com appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)     (1J7I)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1J7K)

Attendees     (1K)

Abstract     (1L)

Session Topic: Organizing the 'Big' Communique     (1L1)

This is our 7th Ontology Summit, a joint initiative by NIST, Ontolog, NCOR, NCBO, IAOA & NCO_NITRD with the support of our co-sponsors. The theme adopted for this Ontology Summit is: "Ontology for Big Systems." The event today is our last virtual session prior to the Ontology Summit 2012 (F2F) Workshop and symposium at NIST next week.     (1L2)

The principal goal of the summit is to bring together and foster collaboration between the ontology community, systems community, and stakeholders of some of "big systems." Together, the summit participants will exchange ideas on how ontological analysis and ontology engineering might make a difference, when applied in these "big systems." We will aim towards producing a series of recommendations describing how ontologies can create an impact; as well as providing illustrations where these techniques have been, or could be, applied in domains such as bioinformatics, electronic health records, intelligence, the smart electrical grid, manufacturing and supply chains, earth and environmental, e-science, cyberphysical systems and e-government.     (1L3)

As is traditional with the Ontology Summit series, the collective results of this extended discourse will be captured in the form of a communiqu��, with expanded supporting material provided on the web.     (1L4)

The goal of this session is two fold. We want to spend some time on preparing participants for and answering questions relating to the Apr. 12&13 workshop and symposium. The rest (and the bulk) of the session will be devoted to reviewing the OntologySummit2012_Communique/Draft that the co-Lead Editors have crafted (and published 4-Apr-2012), based on the inputs of all track champions and participants of last week's session. Any "request for change" to this draft received today and prior to the closing of the comment period (which is set at end-of-day tomorrow, 6-Apr-2012) will then be considered for inclusion by the Lead Editors, who will then come up with a final draft of the Communiqu�� that they will publish by Apr. 9, 2012, getting all of us ready for the OntologySummit2012_Symposium.     (1L5)

More details about this Summit at: OntologySummit2012 (home page for the summit)     (1L6)

Agenda     (1M)

Ontology Summit 2012 - Pre-symposium Session     (1M1)

  • Session Format: this is a virtual session conducted over an augmented conference call     (1M2)

Proceedings     (1N)

Please refer to the above     (1N1)

IM Chat Transcript captured during the session    (1N2)

see raw transcript here.     (1N2A)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1N2B)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1N2C)

-- begin in-session chat-transcript --     (1N2D)

[09:26] Peter P. Yim: Welcome to the     (1N2E)

Ontology Summit 2012: pre-symposium session - Thu 2012-04-05     (1N2F)

Summit Theme: Ontology Summit 2012: "Ontology for Big Systems"     (1N2G)

Session Topic: Pre-symposium preparation & Communique Review-II     (1N2H)

Session co-Chairs: Professor Michael Gruninger, Dr. Todd Schneider & Mr. Ali Hashemi     (1N2I)

Mute control: *7 to un-mute ... *6 to mute     (1N2K)

Can't find Skype Dial pad? ... it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (1N2L)

Proceedings:     (1N2M)

[09:34] anonymous1 morphed into Doug Foxvog     (1N2N)

[09:34] anonymous morphed into Hasan Sayani     (1N2O)

[09:39] Ram D. Sriram: @Michael: Dr. Charles Romine, Director of the Information Technology Laboratory,     (1N2P)

will be making the welcoming remarks.     (1N2Q)

[09:44] Line Pouchard: @Ram: is this Chuck Romine who used to be at ORNL a decade ago?     (1N2R)

[09:46] Ram D. Sriram: @LinePouchard: Yes. Same person. He is the director of ITL now.     (1N2S)

[09:41] Todd Schneider: Does any one have the text of the 'Fabian Rule'     (1N2T)

[09:45] Peter P. Yim: +1 on Nicola's suggestion extending the Track 1&2 report time (Michael: we'll add     (1N2U)

another 15 min.)     (1N2V)

[09:48] Leo Obrst: Just joining late.     (1N2W)

[09:49] Amanda Vizedom: I could volunteer to bring a K-cup coffee maker. ;-)     (1N2X)

[09:51] Doug Foxvog: @Amanda: What is the value of K? 8)#     (1N2Y)

[09:53] Doug Foxvog: ! This system rotated part of my smiley! I'll try again. 8 )#     (1N2Z)

[09:56] Amanda Vizedom: [ref. Michael's request that all demo presenters should have sent him their     (1N2AA)

demo title and abstract] Whoops - Sorry Michael, will send.     (1N2AB)

[09:50] Todd Schneider: [ref. Peter's request that slides be ready by end-of-day Monday 4/9] Peter,     (1N2AC)

the slides from Ali and I will be delayed.     (1N2AD)

[09:55] Peter P. Yim: @Todd, @Ali - I would assume you guys will have multiple slide deck over the two     (1N2AE)

days ... the last of which (though optional) would be the final presentation on the communique (i.e.     (1N2AF)

the communique on slides - which Michael Uschold did well on, last year, but again this is not     (1N2AG)

mandatory)     (1N2AH)

[09:56] Peter P. Yim: ... for that last set of slides, you'd probably not be in a position to prepare     (1N2AI)

them until after the day-1 sessions are through     (1N2AJ)

[09:56] Todd Schneider: Peter, I would think the communique would speak for itself. But I'll look at     (1N2AK)

[09:56] Leo Obrst: where are the slides?     (1N2AM)

[09:57] Peter P. Yim: @Leo - see:     (1N2AN)

[09:57] DeborahMacPherson: [ref. Michael's question on whether Deborah has a demo too] Must be a     (1N2AP)

different Deborah? Is it the posters     (1N2AQ)

[09:57] DeborahMacPherson: It must be for the posters - see http://scimaps.org would like to bring     (1N2AR)

some data visualizations of big systems for display     (1N2AS)

[09:59] Peter P. Yim: [ref. Peter's asking people to get registered to attend the workshop/symposium]     (1N2AU)

[10:00] Peter P. Yim: list of people who have registered so far are on that page too     (1N2AW)

[09:59] Todd Schneider: Nicola, will you be at the symposium (in person)?     (1N2AX)

[10:03] Nicola Guarino: @Todd: yes     (1N2AY)

[09:57] Nicola Guarino: Michael, where are the questions you mentioned (to be used for the     (1N2AZ)

panelists)?     (1N2AAA)

{{{ [10:10] Michael Grüninger: Proposed Panel Questions: 1. Why are ontologies important to the success of your work? 2. Can you share any specific success metrics from the application of ontologies? 3. How does your work fit into the Big Data picture (if at all)? 4. What are some of the exciting initiatives that you've seen - who should we watch and why? 5. What is the killer app using your work that you're hoping to see emerge over the next few years? 6. Why are ontologies essential for modeling systems? 7. Why are ontologies essential for integration / federation of systems? 8. How do ontologies help address Interdisciplinary Collaboration? 9. Has anyone quantified and is willing to share any of the costs associated with the lack of ontologies in {modeling, integration, federation, collaboration}? }}}     (1N2AAB)

[09:56] Terry Longstreth: @MichaelGruninger: If you're going to have each member of the panel respond     (1N2AAC)

to each question, you should probably reduce the number of questions.     (1N2AAD)

[09:57] Michael Grüninger: @Terry: ok, we will prioritize the questions     (1N2AAE)

[10:11] Michael Grüninger: The first five or six questions will probably be the best; the remaining     (1N2AAF)

questions can be used if we have time     (1N2AAG)

[10:11] Nicola Guarino: @Peter: I will be dumb, but still I am not able to see the pointer to these     (1N2AAH)

slides in the conference call web page.     (1N2AAI)

[10:11] Ali Hashemi: @Nicola:     (1N2AAJ)

[10:13] Peter P. Yim: (just repeating what I said verbally earlier) All slides and materials     (1N2AAL)

(demo-video-clips, etc.) for the workshop & symposium (i.e. things that need to be shared with     (1N2AAM)

on-site and remote participants) needs to be emailed to the symposium chairs and to me by end-of-day     (1N2AAN)

Monday Apr-9 (or at least a note to say you needed more time), please     (1N2AAO)

[10:13] Peter P. Yim: slides should be in pdf format and with all slides numbered ... PLEASE!     (1N2AAP)

[10:14] Nicola Guarino: @Ali: Sorry I missed whether it is fine to edit the communique directly, in     (1N2AAQ)

addition to posting comments     (1N2AAR)

[10:15] Ali Hashemi: The google doc does not currently allow others to edit.     (1N2AAS)

[10:17] Nicola Guarino: I noticed it. However it would be much easier to do (limited) changes than     (1N2AAT)

post comments. Anyway, it's your choice.     (1N2AAU)

[10:17] Ali Hashemi: The way it's currently set up, I am sharing a public link and anyone with a link     (1N2AAV)

can view. I can add specific users with edit capability     (1N2AAW)

[10:31] DeborahMacPherson: Bye - see you next week     (1N2AAX)

[10:31] Peter P. Yim: very productive session ... thanks!     (1N2AAY)

[10:32] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 10:31am PDT --     (1N2AAZ)

-- end of in-session chat-transcript --     (1N2AAAA)

  • Further Question & Remarks - please post them to the [ ontology-summit ] listserv     (1N2AAAB)
    • all subscribers to the previous summit discussion, and all who responded to today's call will automatically be subscribed to the [ ontology-summit ] listserv     (1N2AAAB1)
    • if you are already subscribed, post to <ontology-summit [at] ontolog.cim3.net>     (1N2AAAB2)
    • (if you are not yet subscribed) you may subscribe yourself to the [ ontology-summit ] listserv, by sending a blank email to <ontology-summit-join [at] ontolog.cim3.net> from your subscribing email address, and then follow the instructions you receive back from the mailing list system.     (1N2AAAB3)

Audio Recording of this Session     (1O)

Additional Resources     (1P)


For the record ...     (1P7)

How To Join (while the session is in progress)     (1Q)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1Q4)