From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

Ontology Summit 2011 review and follow-up action planning ("postmortem") session - Thu 19-May-2011     (1)

  • Shared-screen support (VNC session) will be started 5 minutes before the call at: http://vnc2.cim3.net:5800/     (1C5)
    • view-only password: "ontolog"     (1C5A)
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.     (1C5B)
    • people behind corporate firewalls may have difficulty accessing this. If that is the case, please download the slides above and running them locally. The speaker(s) will prompt you to advance the slides during the talk.     (1C5C)
  • Discussions and Q & A:     (1C6)
    • (Unless the conference host has already muted everyone) Please mute your phone, by pressing "*2" on your phone keypad, when a presentation is in progress. To un-mute, press "*3"     (1C6A)
    • You can type in your questions or comments through the browser based chat session by:     (1C6B)
      • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field). You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (1C6C1)
    • (when everyone is muted) If you want to speak or have questions or remarks to make, please "raise your hand (virtually)" by click on the "hand button" (lower right) on the chat session page. You may speak when acknowledged by the speaker or the session moderator (again, press "*3" on your phone to unmute). Test your voice and introduce yourself first before proceeding with your remarks, please. (Please remember to click on the "hand button" again (to lower your hand) and press "*2" on your phone to mute yourself after you are done speaking.)     (1C6D)
    • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) ontolog_20110519@soaphub.org ... Handy for mobile devices!     (1C6E)
  • Please note that this session will be recorded, and the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.     (1C10)

Attendees     (1E)

  • Expecting:     (1E2)
    • ... if you are coming to the session, please add your name above (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above; or e-mail <peter.yim@cim3.com> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...     (1E3A)

Resources     (1E5)

Abstracts     (1F)

  • Session Topic: "OntologySummit2011 (postmortem) review and follow-up action planning"     (1F1)
The goal of this session is to revisit the last Ontology Summit and plan ahead for the future. We will discuss what worked and what can be improved during the 3~4 months of Ontology Summit 2011, and get ideas on how to make next year's Ontology Summit even better. This meeting gives us an opportunity to develop some plans and initiatives for action that will move what we have achieved beyond the 3-month Summit itself. Further, this meeting is also an opportunity to suggest topics and themes for next year's Ontology Summit.     (1F2)

Agenda Ideas     (1G)

Agenda & Proceedings     (1H)

Transcript of the online chat during the session     (1H2)

see raw transcript here.     (1H2A)

(for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)     (1H2B)

Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.     (1H2C)

-- begin of chat session --     (1H2D)

Ontology Summit 2011 review and follow-up action planning ("postmortem") session - Thu 19-May-2011     (1H2F)

Please refer to details on session page at:     (1H2H)

anonymous morphed into vnc2     (1H2K)

Ali Hashemi: Does vnc work for anyone?     (1H2L)

Peter P. Yim: @Ali - no ... you will have to call out the advance, and I will advance the slides for you     (1H2M)

Peter P. Yim: session starts ... How did Ontology Summit 2011 go?     (1H2N)

Steve Ray: Matthew: Went well - maturity of how participants approached the topic     (1H2O)

Michael Uschold: Was it anyone's job to get media coverage? IF not, that is the explanation.     (1H2P)

anonymous morphed into Fabian Neuhaus     (1H2Q)

Steve Ray: In the future, need a publicity chair (Uschold, Obrst)     (1H2R)

Peter P. Yim: +1 on Gruninger's point about the panel at the Symposium - I agree it went real well and     (1H2S)

provided a good range of perspectives     (1H2T)

Steve Ray: Gruninger: could have done better on the challenge problems     (1H2U)

Peter P. Yim: @Steve - vnc still working properly here     (1H2V)

Steve Ray: VNC is back for me - it hiccuped and required me to log in again.     (1H2W)

Peter P. Yim: presentations continued - [ 1-Ray ] (slide#8 now)     (1H2Y)

Steve Ray: Michael: Can't help observing that we're really in an Epilogue, rather than a Prologue as     (1H2Z)

noted on your slide. (Shocking misuse of a term for an ontologist!     (1H2AA)

Peter P. Yim: == Michael Uschold presenting == [ 2-Uschold ]     (1H2AB)

Leo Obrst: I think that Michael's Ontology Usage Catalog could also become part of the Open Ontology     (1H2AC)

Repository, at some point, since the points on his slide 2 are largely also addressed by the OOR.     (1H2AD)

Steve Ray: Michael: What is the relationship between your work and the Open Ontology Repository?     (1H2AE)

Rex Brooks: Sorry I'm late folks-conflicting telecon, about an emergency management ontology.     (1H2AF)

Peter P. Yim: Nicola Guarino: in favor of Michael's proposal ... cataloging is good, but qualifying it as     (1H2AG)

"exemplary" could be dangerous     (1H2AH)

Ali Hashemi: With respect to the summit, it is also an issue of how suitable the example ontology is     (1H2AI)

for making a case.     (1H2AJ)

The OOR encompasses a broader range of ontologies     (1H2AK)

Nicola Guarino: According to the authors, "An exemplary ontology is one that can serve as a model     (1H2AL)

that can be imitated or leveraged by ontology engineers in the future. The most fundamental property     (1H2AM)

of an exemplary ontology is being well designed for its intended purpose". This is risky.     (1H2AN)

Michael Uschold: Agree with Nicola about having a way to enter things into a repository, without     (1H2AO)

having to commit to it being exemplary. I agree. The exemplary ontology catalog is just an example     (1H2AP)

of a semantic-form based catalog. An ontology usage framework could use a similar approach. Whether     (1H2AQ)

or not we choose to rate the quality of ontology uses is a discussion about just one attribute of     (1H2AR)

the ontology usage, not a big issue per se.     (1H2AS)

Matthew West: Apologies, but I have to leave now.     (1H2AT)

Michael Uschold: @Nicola: can you comment on the publication of ontology usages in AOJ (the "Applied     (1H2AV)

Ontology" Journal) according to some kind of standard format?     (1H2AW)

Rex Brooks: I'll give the standing use-case library some thought. I promised other groups that I     (1H2AX)

would catch up on work that took a lower priority before the summit, so I can't commit now, but I     (1H2AY)

may commit after those projects are up to date.     (1H2AZ)

Leo Obrst: Maybe AOJ could institute a kind of New Ontologies of Interest section? Brief descriptions     (1H2AAA)

of ontologies and their use cases?     (1H2AAB)

Nicola Guarino: @Michael: definitely we are open to publish ontology usages on the AOJ, but honestly     (1H2AAC)

I have no idea of the proper format (there was some discussion with Michael Grüninger at the summit)     (1H2AAD)

Michael Uschold: I could not agree more with Ali Hashemi that there needs to be a better way to show     (1H2AAE)

off the results of our work. I do not like sending people to our working wiki site.     (1H2AAF)

Nicola Guarino: @Ali: I definetly support the idea of a nice (non wiki-based) website, certainly it     (1H2AAG)

would be great to point at it from the IAOA.org web site (and from MANY different places).     (1H2AAH)

Peter P. Yim: == Brainstorm on possible theme for next year's Ontology Summit ==     (1H2AAI)

Leo Obrst: Jumping ahead a bit, Potential Topics for Ontology Summit 2012: 1) Ontology Best     (1H2AAJ)

Practices, Methodologies, Evaluation, 2) Ontology Self-Correction, Automated Growth, Ontology     (1H2AAK)

Learning. To some extent both of these were mentioned at the Symposium.     (1H2AAL)

Nicola Guarino: (of course we need some way of quality evaluation, of course)     (1H2AAM)

Rex Brooks: Thought for next year's Summit: How do we make people aware of ontology by saying "Did     (1H2AAN)

you know that YOU have an ontology?     (1H2AAO)

Rex Brooks: The point is showing how there are implicit ontologies everywhere, and making people     (1H2AAP)

aware of it. What are the consequences of willy nilly ontological practices?     (1H2AAQ)

Rex Brooks: How to put that into a a Summit Theme is a good question.     (1H2AAR)

Michael Uschold: I propose "Ontology Engineering best practice"     (1H2AAS)

Michael Uschold: I think that Ontology best practice is too big.     (1H2AAT)

Michael Uschold: I think ontology learning is too small a topic, very important, but represents small     (1H2AAU)

part of the community     (1H2AAV)

Michael Grüninger: Rather than ontology learning the topic can be broadened to ontology acquisition     (1H2AAW)

e.g. extracting ontologies from unstructured knowledge     (1H2AAX)

Peter P. Yim: it was suggested before (in previous years) the theme of "Ontology and Software     (1H2AAY)

Engineering" - and create a platform to pull together these two communities     (1H2AAZ)

Steve Ray: @Peter: or..."Ontology and Systems Engineering"     (1H2AAAA)

Leo Obrst: Perhaps related to "Ontology and Software / Systems Engineering" is "Developing Ontology     (1H2AAAB)

Applications".     (1H2AAAC)

Rex Brooks: "Solving Problems with Ontology"?     (1H2AAAD)

Michael Grüninger: Challenge Problems for Ontology Design and Applications     (1H2AAAE)

Leo Obrst: I agree that Evaluation is a potentially big topic, as that NIST workshop made clear: many     (1H2AAAF)

approaches.     (1H2AAAG)

Fabian Neuhaus: I agree with Nicola, when I said "Best Practices" I should have said "Best Practices     (1H2AAAH)

& Methodologies"     (1H2AAAI)

Peter P. Yim: a possible theme that came across (when Matthew and I were doing "Strategies") is "Making     (1H2AAAJ)

the Case for Ontology Research"     (1H2AAAK)

Nicola Guarino: @Peter: BTW, "Making the case for ontology research" is a GREAT topic, although     (1H2AAAL)

perhaps less popular than best practices & methodology     (1H2AAAM)

Nicola Guarino: Also: research challenges for ontologies     (1H2AAAN)

Ali Hashemi: Ontologies as Part of Knowledge Systems (how it fits into other technologies)     (1H2AAAO)

Peter P. Yim: +1 on Ali's "Ontologies as Part of Knowledge Systems"     (1H2AAAP)

Yuriy Milov: alternatives ... "challenges for ontologies" I agreed     (1H2AAAQ)

Rex Brooks: Similar to Best Practices and Software Engineering, and building on this year's topic, I     (1H2AAAR)

would suggest something along the lines of "What is Ontology Good For? it breaks down into Tracks     (1H2AAAS)

for things like performance, collateral benefits, etc.     (1H2AAAT)

Fabian Neuhaus: For the record, I suggested to distinguish "Ontology Best Practices, Methodologies"     (1H2AAAU)

and "Evaluation of Ontologies" as separate topics     (1H2AAAV)

Ali Hashemi: Ontology acquisition might also resonate broadly, as it would help communicate how     (1H2AAAW)

people who didn't realize they could use ontologies, could.     (1H2AAAX)

Terry Longstreth: Back to its roots: Ontology usage for Philosophy and the Humanities     (1H2AAAY)

Peter P. Yim: Nicola / Steve: ask people to continue to contribute ideas (brainstorm on topics) -     (1H2AAAZ)

conversation can and should continue on the [ontology-summit] list     (1H2AAAAA)

Peter P. Yim: Steve suggest adding a link on that page to a place where people can suggest "future     (1H2AAAAD)

Peter P. Yim: sure ... send us your suggestions here -     (1H2AAAAF)

Nicola Guarino: @MichaelUschold: once the communique is ready (with endorsement), submit it to     (1H2AAAAH)

Applied Ontology so we can publish it soon     (1H2AAAAI)

Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 11:00am PDT --     (1H2AAAAK)

-- end of chat session --     (1H2AAAAL)

  • Further Question & Remarks - please post them to the [ ontology-summit ] listserv     (1H2AAAAM)
    • if you are already subscribed, post to <ontology-summit [at] ontolog.cim3.net>     (1H2AAAAM1)
    • (if you are not yet subscribed) you may subscribe yourself to the [ ontology-summit ] listserv, by sending a blank email to <ontology-summit-join [at] ontolog.cim3.net> from your subscribing email address, and then follow the instructions you receive back from the mailing list system.     (1H2AAAAM2)

Audio Recording of this Session     (1I)

  • suggestion: its best that you listen to the session while having the presentation opened in front of you. You'll be prompted to advance slides by the speaker.     (1I5)
  • Take a look, also, at the rich body of knowledge that this community has built together, over the years, by going through the archives of noteworthy past Ontolog events. (References on how to subscribe to our podcast can also be found there.)     (1I6)

For the record ...     (1I7)

How To Join (while the session is in progress)     (1J)


This page has been migrated from the OntologWiki - Click here for original page     (1J4)