From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

ONTOLOG BoardOfTrustees Meeting (n.10) ��� Thursday 2015.09.24    (1)

Decisions and Actions    (1D)

[12:54] Mike Bennett: [Action] Amanda Vizedom will look at the options for [discussion board] facility ... Related considerations:     (1D1A)

  • [12:55] Peter P. Yim: if we don't have a better solution, I will get the [ontolog-forum], [ontolog-invitation], [ontolog-trustee] and [ontology-summit] lists over to Yahoo!Groups by the next BoT meeting     (1D1C)

[12:56] Mike Bennett: [Action] outstanding [Documentation of infrastructure and operational responsibilities] on Ken as per previous:     (1D1D)

[27 August 18:09] Ken to augment the procedures page. Will continue to add to this as we learn of new activities such as the social media accounts.     (1D1E)

[13:18] Mike Bennett: [Action] Ken will confirm [a date when the Ontolog Forum wiki will be up] to the BoT email list     (1D1F)

[13:03] Mike Bennett: [Action] Michael Grüninger on [outstanding commitments from people who were on the series for ontology based standards].     (1D1G)

[13:10] Mike Bennett: [Action] Matthew and Leo to follow up with their proposed [BoT] nominees.     (1D1H)

[13:11] Mike Bennett: Leo will also email Todd. Cc Matthew, to say that we want to nominate him if he is interested. [DONE, during the call]     (1D1I)

[13:12] Mike Bennett: Twitter account for Ontolog Forum - Mike Bennett was going to look into, [To do, from last time]     (1D1J)

[13:18] Mike Bennett: Also there is a list of all the meeting reports on the BoT page - to be updated as well by MikeBennett. See link that Matthew put there.     (1D1K)

Decisions     (1D2)

[12:55] Mike Bennett: [Decision] Agreed that something needs to be visible in place on [discussion board facility], by the next meeting in 1 month     (1D2A)

[13:01] Mike Bennett: We should have [Ontolog Forum sessions] with a single speaker.     (1D2B)

[13:04] Mike Bennett: Decision: we will do one Ontolog Forum session every fortnight.     (1D2C)

[13:04] Mike Bennett: First [Ontolog Forum session] = 22 Oct. Subsequent ones 5 Nov and 19 Nov.     (1D2D)

[13:16] Mike Bennett: Next meeting Wednesday 28th October     (1D2H)

1. Minutes of previous meeting     (2C)

To approve the minutes of the previous meeting.     (2D)

2. Matters arising not dealt with elsewhere     (2E)

3. Infrastructure and Operational status report     (2F)

3.1 Wiki Login for users (KenB)     (2G)

[17:59] For Ontolog Forum wiki new member access, Ken Baclawski to send Matthew West an email with the links and instructions. Matthew will then take on the task of adding new joiners to the wiki.     (2H)

3.2 Handover of Peter Yim's operational responsibilities (KenB)     (2I)

Progress report (KenB)     (2J)

[17:52] Ken Baclawski will get linked sorted out on the new wiki by the US Labor Day holiday. This would be by 5 September. Ken Baclawski will make an announcement when this is done, on the BoT List.     (2K)

3.3 Documentation of Infrastructure and Operational Responsibilities     (2L)

4. Future sessions planning     (2P)

4.1 Ontology Summit Post Mortem ��� Fix date Action: Michael Gruninger     (2Q)

4.2 Ontolog Sessions: Topics/Series and Champions     (2R)

5. BoT Membership     (2S)

5.1 Proposals for additional members     (2T)

Report back from MatthewWest and LeoOrbst     (2U)

6. Other business     (2V)

6.1 Twitter Account for Ontolog Forum ��� MikeBennett to report     (2W)

[18:03] We should open an Ontolog Forum Twitter account.     (2X)

[18:04] Mike Bennett to check with Amanda what is the status and ownership of these social media accounts.     (2Y)

Currently: - LinkedIn (OntologForum) - Ed Dodds <dodds@conmergence.com>     (2Z)

- Facebook (OntologForum) - Charlie White <charles.p.white@jpl.nasa.gov>     (2AA)

- Twitter (OntologySummit) - Amanda Vizedom <amanda.vizedom@gmail.com>     (2AB)

- Google+ (OntologForum) - Joel Bender <jjb5@cornell.edu>     (2AC)


7. Next Meeting     (2AD)

Date and Time:     (3A)

Dial-in:     (3E)

  • Phone (US): +1 (425) 440-5100 (long distance cost may apply)     (3F)
  • Skype: join.conference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="join.conference") (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ref.)     (3G)
    • when prompted enter Conference ID: 843758#     (3G1)
    • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype?     (3G2)
      • Add the contact "join.conference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "join.conference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 843758# when prompted.     (3G2A)
    • Can't find Skype Dial pad?     (3G3)
      • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (3G3A)
      • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. (ref.)     (3G3B)
  • To un-mute, press "*7" To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (3H)

  • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (3J)
  • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (3K)
  • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) ontolog-bot_20150924@soaphub.org Handy for mobile devices!     (3L)

Attendees     (4)

Chat Log     (5)

Peter P. Yim: Matthew: meeting begins ...     (5A)


1. Minutes - was OK


3.1 Wiki login for users


Mike Bennett: This has been delayed because of the infrastructure problem with the new server.     (5B)

Mike Bennett: Tejas and Ken expect to be moving forward on that very soon.     (5C)

Peter P. Yim: because I am still providing some of the Ontolog-related IT services, I want everyone to know am still shouldering the cost to keep them running (despite the level can already been reduced) which I need to eliminate     (5D)

Peter P. Yim: given that the mailing list services are still required (and I was originally hoping to only be maintaining them for another 12 (max 1 months, I am thinking of migrating that out, to either someone/some-institute who wants to pick it up, or, (probably better) to an free service like what google or yahoo would offer. ... want to hear what others think     (5E)

[12:45] Matthew West: I think a free service like Google would be a good idea, if it can take the numbers. There are some problems with Google in that you cannot subscribe people.     (5F)

[12:46] Mike Bennett: original expectation for infrastructure handover was 6 month with allowance for 12 months. Now nearing 18 months.     (5G)

[12:47] Mike Bennett: Even if Ken starts the wiki soon, Peter is still running the mailing lists. Perhaps that can be taken on by e.g. Till or someone as per the other lists OR better still, move this to a free service e.g. Google.     (5H)

[12:48] Mike Bennett: Subscription may be an issue. If it's easy for people to subscribe themselves - saves time BUT we are typically running a closed group.     (5I)

[12:48] Mike Bennett: In principle going to a managed service is the thing to do.     (5J)

[12:48] Mike Bennett: Do we need it closed? Specifically we need to be able to exclude people some times.     (5K)

[12:49] Mike Bennett: Peter has good experience with Yahoo groups, as does Amanda. Has allowed people to be blocked when needed.     (5L)

[12:49] Mike Bennett: The ideal would be to totally eliminate the mail list aspect. The type of conversations we are having is more suited to a Slashdot style of messageboard.     (5M)

[12:50] Mike Bennett: Also Simon Spero has suggested a thing that could be used in the wiki (a plug-in) but that was never migrated and tested.     (5N)

[12:50] Amanda Vizedom: * Amanda's experience with Yahoo groups is less positive. Regular problems with access for some people.     (5O)

[12:50] Mike Bennett: Such a plug-in requires someone to take on the task of getting it in place.     (5P)

[12:50] Mike Bennett: Also it requires gardening (noise removal).     (5Q)

[12:51] Mike Bennett: Some systems have upvote and downvote features - this reduces the noise.     (5R)

[12:51] Mike Bennett: However, email is a technology people are comfortable with so any migration of medium is going to be a challenge for adoption.     (5S)

[12:51] Mike Bennett: Ideally have email and something else in parallel.     (5T)

[12:51] Peter P. Yim: "DISQUS" which Simon Spero pointed us to, should be able to take over what we do on the [ontolog-forum] list - see: test we already had done - http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/SandBox#DISQUS_inclusion     (5U)

[12:53] Mike Bennett: There are some that have an email dimension to them (emails of message and / or digests as selected by the user)     (5V)

[12:53] Mike Bennett: Also some of those let you reply by email and some don't. Those that do, would make for a very transparent migration for the email regulars.     (5W)

[12:54] Mike Bennett: [Action] AmandaVizdom will look at the options for this facility     (5X)

[12:54] Mike Bennett: Need to set a deadline to get this in place or at least start.     (5Y)

[12:55] Mike Bennett: [Decision] Agreed that something needs to be visible in place on this, by the next meeting in 1 month     (5Z)

[12:55] Peter P. Yim: if we don't have a better solution, I will get the [ontolog-forum], [ontolog-invitation], [ontolog-trustee] and [ontology-summit] lists over to Yahoo!Groups     (5AA)

[12:55] Peter P. Yim: ... by the next BoT meeting     (5AB)

[12:57] Peter P. Yim: ^Matthew: we might still be doing both (an improved "forum" platform, as well as mailing lists on yahoo!groups)     (5AC)


3.3 Documentation of infrastructure and operational responsibilities


[12:55] Mike Bennett: This is subject to the same issue as the login question.     (5AD)

[12:56] Mike Bennett: [Action] outstanding on Ken as per previous.     (5AE)

[12:56] Mike Bennett: Future sessions planning     (5AF)

[12:57] Mike Bennett: Post mortem session is announced for next week. Has been posted to Ontolog Forum but not (yet) to Ontology Summit or Ontolog Invitation     (5AG)


4.2 Ontolog sessions - topics, series and champions


[12:58] Mike Bennett: Some of the standards related ones, Michael can ping the people whose name was in the frame.     (5AH)

[12:59] Mike Bennett: Initial Ontolog session     (5AI)

[12:59] Mike Bennett: Mike Bennett wasn't able to organize the one in Sept     (5AJ)

[13:00] Mike Bennett: Matthew West has a talk on data which ought to be interesting. Can offer a talk and discussion. Was half an hour.     (5AK)

[13:01] Mike Bennett: We should have a session with a single speaker.     (5AL)

[13:01] Mike Bennett: Matthew's one was from third normal form to web-enabled data (for a data modeling audience; may tweak the title to something like from relational databases to web enabled data. Data modeling considerations.     (5AM)

[13:02] Mike Bennett: Also Mike Bennett can present some of what the FIBO team has been working on with Occurrent Thing - was going to offer to do this as part of a reply to a mail by John Sowa on the Ontolog Forum     (5AN)

[13:02] Mike Bennett: We also had outstanding commitments from people who were on the series for ontology based standards     (5AO)

[13:03] Mike Bennett: [Action]MichaelGruninger on that one.     (5AP)

[13:03] Mike Bennett: Suggestion: lock in the date early.     (5AQ)

[13:03] Mike Bennett: We can do that today.     (5AR)

[13:03] Mike Bennett: one for Mike Bennett, one for MatthewWesst and one for Michael Grüninger via those contacts.     (5AS)

[13:04] Mike Bennett: Decision: we will do one Ontolog Forum session every fortnight.     (5AT)

[13:04] Mike Bennett: Firsts = 22 Oct.     (5AU)

[13:05] Mike Bennett: Also 5 Nov and 19 Nov. Matthew can do the first one, on 22 Oct.     (5AV)

[13:05] Mike Bennett: Mike Bennett will do 5 November. Michael Grüninger will do 19th November, subject to what his contacts can manage.     (5AW)


5.1 Proposals for additional members


[13:06] Mike Bennett: Matthew West has contacted some of the ones on his list.     (5AX)

[13:06] Mike Bennett: May have an out of date mail for Todd.     (5AY)

[13:07] Mike Bennett: Has contacted Anatoly Levenchuk, he confirms he would be happy to be put forward.     (5AZ)

[13:07] Mike Bennett: Process: anyone can nominate him, has to have 8 nominations and then we approve.     (5AAA)

[13:07] Mike Bennett: the 7 on this call: are we all happy to add Anatoly?     (5AAB)

[13:08] Mike Bennett: Amanda abstains     (5AAD)

[13:08] Peter P. Yim: Yes for Anatoly (Peter)     (5AAE)

[13:08] Mike Bennett: Leo supports     (5AAF)

[13:08] Mike Bennett: Mike supports     (5AAG)

[13:09] Mike Bennett: Others: Leo has contacted Ram, he is interested but needs to gauge how much time is involved.     (5AAH)

[13:09] Mike Bennett: Likely he would accept, hasn't yet formally done so.     (5AAI)

[13:09] Mike Bennett: Gary has just been contacted.     (5AAJ)

[13:09] Amanda Vizedom: Should we open a call for nominations to the forum in general (I think so)     (5AAK)

[13:10] Mike Bennett: [Action] Matthew and Leo to follow up with their proposed nominees.     (5AAL)

[13:10] Amanda Vizedom: tjschneider@covad.net     (5AAM)

[13:11] Mike Bennett: Leo will also email Todd. Cc Matthew, to say that we want to nominate him if he is interested.     (5AAN)

[13:12] Leo Obrst: Leo has sent nomination request to Todd Schneider.     (5AAO)


6.1 Social media

[13:12] Mike Bennett: Twitter account for Ontolog Forum - Mike Bennett was going to look into, didn't     (5AAP)

[13:12] Mike Bennett: The existing Summit Twitter account was Amanda. Had handed that over to someone else. Agrees we could run a separate one for Ontolog as well.     (5AAQ)

[13:13] Mike Bennett: There is also an email address that forwards to everyone who was on the Organizing Committee 2 years ago, which is listed as the contact email for both the twitter account and the Summit group address account. That still seems to be operational.     (5AAR)

[13:13] Mike Bennett: This was part of the infrastructure that Peter was running.     (5AAS)

[13:14] Amanda Vizedom: Mark Underwood has been running the Ontology *Summit* twitter and G+ since last year.     (5AAT)


7. Next Meeting


[13:14] Mike Bennett: Looking for times that are good for John Sowa as well.     (5AAU)

[13:14] Mike Bennett: Are there other days at this time, that people cannot make? In the chat below     (5AAV)

[13:14] Michael Grüninger: Tuesdays are out for me     (5AAW)

[13:14] Matthew West: can't make Monday     (5AAX)

[13:14] Mike Bennett: Wednesdays is possible     (5AAY)

[13:15] Mike Bennett: Next call: subject to confirming if this works for John Sowa (otherwise we would not move it).     (5AAZ)

[13:16] Mike Bennett: Next meeting Wednesday 28th October     (5AAAA)


AoB?


[13:17] Mike Bennett: Can Ken estimate a date when the Ontolog Forum wiki will be up?     (5AAAB)

[13:18] Mike Bennett: [Action] Ken will confirm this to the BoT email list     (5AAAC)

[13:18] Mike Bennett: Also there is a list of all the meeting reports on the BoT page - to be updated as well by MikeBennett. See link that Matthew put there.     (5AAAD)

[13:18] Mike Bennett: Secretaries to keep that up to date     (5AAAE)

[13:19] Peter P. Yim: good meeting! Bye     (5AAAF)

[13:19] Mike Bennett: == Meeting ended hh:19 ==     (5AAAG)



Resources     (6)

Past Meetings     (7)