From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

ONTOLOG BoardOfTrustees Meeting (n.09) ��� Thursday 2015.08.27    (1)

Decisions and Actions    (1D)

[17:52] Ken Baclawski will get linked sorted out on the new wiki by the US Labor Day holiday. This would be by 5 September. Ken Baclawski will make an announcement when this is done, on the BoT List.     (1D1A)

[17:59] For Ontolog Forum wiki new member access, Ken Baclawski to send Matthew West an email with the links and instructions. Matthew will then take on the task of adding new joiners to the wiki.     (1D1B)

[18:03] We should open an Ontolog Forum Twitter account.     (1D1C)

[18:04] Mike Bennett to check with Amanda what is the status and ownership of these social media accounts.     (1D1D)

Currently: - LinkedIn (OntologForum) - Ed Dodds <dodds@conmergence.com>     (1D1E)

- Facebook (OntologForum) - Charlie White <charles.p.white@jpl.nasa.gov>     (1D1F)

- Twitter (OntologySummit) - Amanda Vizedom <amanda.vizedom@gmail.com>     (1D1G)

- Google+ (OntologForum) - Joel Bender <jjb5@cornell.edu>     (1D1H)

[18:09] Ken to augment the procedures page. Will continue to add to this as we learn of new activities such as the social media accounts.     (1D1I)

[18:12] Matthew West will contact Michael Grüninger in the next week about Ontology Summit chair actions.     (1D1J)

[18:16] Ontolog forum session we can run so as to get back onto people's diaries? Have a session where people say what they want to see done at the Ontolog Forum. Mike Bennett to get this in place by early / mid September. Matthew West to administer the required kicking if he doesn't by mid Sept.     (1D1K)

[18:21] Date for next Ontology Summit post mortem session? Matthew West will ask Michael Grüninger when this is intended to be.     (1D1L)

[18:28] Invites to join the BoT:     (1D1M)

Leo Obrst will contact Gary Berg Cross and RamSriRam.     (1D1N)


Decisions     (1D2)

[18:32] The next 3 months is Matthew West chairship.     (1D2A)

[18:33] The next meeting will be Sept 24     (1D2B)

1. Minutes of previous meeting     (2C)

To approve the minutes of the previous meeting.     (2D)

2. Matters arising not dealt with elsewhere     (2E)

2.1 Chair's focus for next 3 months     (2F)

Improve organizational effectiveness (actions with dates for completion and follow up). Focus on what we can realistically achieve given resources available.     (2G)

3. Infrastructure and Operational status report     (2H)

3.1 Wiki Login for users (KenB)     (2I)

3.2 Handover of Peter Yim's operational responsibilities (KenB)     (2J)

I would also like to review the status of the total transfer of my operational responsibilities, especially in system hosting and support duties. I hope we will have specific dates for all servers/services that still need to be transferred/cut-over, by the time of this upcoming BoT meeting (attn: KenB, ref the wiki and shared-file repositories, in particular.)     (2K)

3.3 Documentation of Infrastructure and Operational Responsibilities     (2L)

4. Future sessions planning     (2P)

4.1 Ontology Summit Post Mortem ��� Fix date     (2Q)

4.2 Ontolog Sessions: Topics/Series and Champions     (2R)

5. BoT Membership     (2S)

5.1 Proposals for additional members     (2T)

Please come with specific names.     (2U)

6. Other business     (2V)

7. Next Meeting     (2W)

Date and Time:     (3A)

Dial-in:     (3E)

  • Phone (US): +1 (425) 440-5100 (long distance cost may apply)     (3F)
  • Skype: join.conference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="join.conference") (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ref.)     (3G)
    • when prompted enter Conference ID: 843758#     (3G1)
    • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype?     (3G2)
      • Add the contact "join.conference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "join.conference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 843758# when prompted.     (3G2A)
    • Can't find Skype Dial pad?     (3G3)
      • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (3G3A)
      • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. (ref.)     (3G3B)
  • To un-mute, press "*7" To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (3H)

  • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (3J)
  • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (3K)
  • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) ontolog-bot_20141204@soaphub.org Handy for mobile devices!     (3L)

Attendees     (4)

Chat Log     (5)

Lightly edited     (5A)


Mike Bennett: 1. Minutes of the previous meeting:     (5C)

Mike Bennett: There is a chat log but no summary.     (5D)

Mike Bennett: Matthew West suggests we use a "Decisions and Actions" extract.     (5E)

Peter P. Yim: [inserts wiki code to use when posting this]     (5F)

Mike Bennett: This plus the chat log should be adequate.     (5G)

Mike Bennett: Mike Bennett to do this for today's meeting.     (5H)

Mike Bennett: Also for previous meeting if possible.     (5I)

Mike Bennett: The Decisions and Actions will go at or near the top of the meeting page.     (5J)

Mike Bennett: Peter P. Yim encourages people to log their own points on the chat as well. This becomes the minutes, plus the above extract summarizing the decisions and action items, with reference to the time stamps during the chat so people can refer back to that for context.     (5L)

Matthew West: We will have a decisions and actions section rather than minutes or proceedings (decision).     (5M)

Mike Bennett: Convention: [Action] and [Decision] during the chat as well.     (5N)


Mike Bennett: 2. Matters not dealt with elsewhere     (5O)

Mike Bennett: No-one told Matthew about the previous actions, and minutes were not circulated at that time.     (5P)

Mike Bennett: Matthewwest Would like us to improve our organizational effectiveness.     (5Q)

Peter P. Yim: suggestion: another prefix - [sop] for standard operating procedure     (5R)

[17:44] Mike Bennett: MAtthewWest - we should try and do some small thing and get something going.     (5S)

[17:45] Mike Bennett: Peter P. Yim: sustainability of this forum may need discussion.     (5T)

[17:45] Mike Bennett: Programme: this is the thing that seems to have gone quiet.     (5U)

[17:46] Mike Bennett: Lots has been happening on the infrastructure side, unsure of current status...     (5V)


[17:46] Mike Bennett: 3. Infrastructure and operational status report     (5W)

[17:46] Mike Bennett: Technology: seem to have pretty much everything in place.     (5X)

[17:46] Mike Bennett: Operational is where the issues may be.     (5Y)

[17:47] Mike Bennett: for example users being able to log on and update their namespace pages - need to sort out user logins     (5Z)

[17:47] Mike Bennett: Also handing over Peter P. Yim operational responsibilities. This falls to Ken.     (5AA)

[17:47] Mike Bennett: Ken Baclawski: mostly seems to be in place. What's Peter's understanding of this?     (5AB)

[17:48] Mike Bennett: Peter P. Yim: still running the production infrastructure, which is not his intention.     (5AC)

[17:48] Mike Bennett: Has promised to do the mailing list, since we anticipate not needing this in 6 - 12 months. This is because we would be better off doing this with a blog.     (5AD)

[17:48] Mike Bennett: The blog structure would reflect how usually someone says a huge thing and then everyone comments.     (5AE)

[17:49] Mike Bennett: this would be appropriate for Drupal, Wordpress or the wiki, or some Google service.     (5AF)

[17:49] Mike Bennett: On the wiki: have finished all the migration. Ken has the wiki content and the site up as of May.     (5AG)

[17:49] Mike Bennett: Expecting Ken to have announced that, having put in the anti-spam protections.     (5AH)

[17:50] Mike Bennett: Peter P. Yim is still running the ontolog02 wiki rather than Ken running the ontologfurm.org wiki.     (5AI)

[17:50] Mike Bennett: Meanwhile people have been placing new content on ontolog02.     (5AJ)

[17:50] Mike Bennett: Need Ken to pick this up. Peter is off again in 3 weeks or so, for 3 - 4 months. Need to have him out of the infrastructure chain by then.     (5AK)

[17:51] Mike Bennett: Ken Baclawski: ontologforum.org is up.     (5AL)

[17:51] Mike Bennett: There are problems with this.     (5AM)

[17:51] Mike Bennett: A lot of the links are not active as of now.     (5AN)

[17:51] Mike Bennett: Ken has been working this, with some interruption over the summer.     (5AO)

[17:51] Mike Bennett: Hopes to get the links sorted out in a short period.     (5AP)

[17:51] Mike Bennett: By when?     (5AQ)

[17:52] Mike Bennett: [Action] Ken Baclawski will have this done by the US Labor Day holiday. This would be by 5 September.     (5AR)

[17:52] Mike Bennett: [Action] Ken Baclawski will make an announcement when this is done, on the BoT List     (5AS)

[17:52] Peter P. Yim: the sites are at: [on Peter's server] http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/ & [on Ken's server] http://ontologforum.org/wiki/     (5AT)

[17:53] Mike Bennett: and subsequently on the Ontolog Forum and joining details.     (5AU)

[17:53] Mike Bennett: Also being used by IAOA.     (5AV)

[17:54] Mike Bennett: Once this is done, Ken will re-migrate these to pick up more recent pages.     (5AW)

[17:55] Mike Bennett: Wiki log-in for users: was there going to be a graduate student working on that?     (5AX)

[17:55] Mike Bennett: That is, for creating new accounts.     (5AY)

[17:55] Mike Bennett: Status: student got half way through this and dropped out.     (5AZ)

[17:55] Mike Bennett: Has not been able to recruit a replacement.     (5AAA)

[17:56] Mike Bennett: Peter P. Yim suggestion - this can be done manually at the moment ahead of us being able to automate the process.     (5AAB)

[17:56] Mike Bennett: Responsibility for manually doing this, needs to be passed to someone.     (5AAC)

[17:56] Mike Bennett: Peter P. Yim suggests this be passed to Matthew, who already does the rest of the process for signing up new members. This would add the action of manually adding them to the wiki as a user.     (5AAD)

[17:57] Mike Bennett: Alternatively, Ken would be happy to do this manual action.     (5AAE)

[17:57] Mike Bennett: Matthew West prefers that Ken Baclawski does this as it requires some technical knowledge.     (5AAF)

[17:58] Mike Bennett: Each time Matthew adds someone new to the Ontolog Forum, he sends an email to them with a copy to the BoT. If Ken can action giving them a login on receipt of that Cc, that would be helpful.     (5AAG)

[17:58] Mike Bennett: Peter P. Yim notes it is not very technical, needs only that Matthew be granted admin rights, enablign him to create a new account (enter name, email address and that's it, and a temp password).     (5AAH)

[17:59] Mike Bennett: [Action} someone send Matthew an email with the links and instructions.     (5AAI)

[17:59] Mike Bennett: [Action] above is on KenBaclawski. Then Matthew West will take this on.     (5AAJ)

[18:00] Mike Bennett: This is on the Ontolog Forum wiki.     (5AAK)

[18:00] Mike Bennett: At present we get 1 new subscriber every 2 or 3 weeks.     (5AAL)

[18:00] Mike Bennett: Peter P. Yim meanwhile we probably get 1 a week of new members follogint the Ontology Summit Twitter account.     (5AAM)

[18:01] Mike Bennett: So we should have someone on Twitter letting those new followers know how to sign up.     (5AAN)

[18:01] Mike Bennett: We need some idea what new mamber means.     (5AAO)

[18:01] Mike Bennett: We are likely losing subscribers along the way, e.g. by natural attritution, people changing jobs etc. Possible more than the new joiners.     (5AAP)

[18:02] Mike Bennett: Matthew West: we get broadly the same number of newly invalid emails, which cause the subscription to cancel. About the same number as joining.     (5AAQ)

[18:02] Mike Bennett: Twitter account: Amanda is looking after new media.     (5AAR)

[18:03] Mike Bennett: We do not have an Ontolog Forum Twitter acount. there was a summit account, which was passed to MArkUnderwood.     (5AAS)

[18:03] Mike Bennett: [Action] We should open an Ontolog Forum Twitter account.     (5AAT)

[18:03] Mike Bennett: We do have such accounts on Google, Facebook and LinkedIn.     (5AAU)

[18:03] Mike Bennett: Someone needs to co-ordinate those.     (5AAV)

[18:04] Mike Bennett: Who has those accounts?     (5AAW)

[18:04] Mike Bennett: Who has those accounts?     (5AAX)

[18:04] Mike Bennett: [Action] Mike Bennett to check with Amanda what is the status and ownership of these social media accounts.     (5AAZ)


[18:05] Mike Bennett: 3.3 Documentation infrastructure and Operational responsibilities.     (5AAAA)

[18:05] Mike Bennett: MAtthew found something on this, but not the what and who is responsible to operate.     (5AAAB)

[18:06] Mike Bennett: At present Peter P. Yim and Ken Baclawski seem to be the only ones who know what is what.     (5AAAC)

[18:06] Mike Bennett: We need to document what we would need in order to be able to dientify what we would need to do if someone was not available.     (5AAAD)

[18:07] Mike Bennett: Documents what we are using rather than what was ne3eded to put infrastructure in place, and who to talk to when things go wrong.     (5AAAE)

[18:07] Mike Bennett: This seems to fall on Ken.     (5AAAF)

[18:07] Mike Bennett: There is a page on the wiki that shows the procedures. We should augment that.     (5AAAG)

[18:07] Mike Bennett: need to say which server is used for what, what software is used, who to contact and so on.     (5AAAH)

[18:08] Mike Bennett: What is on the page is good for a project management perspective but lacks operational detail.     (5AAAI)

[18:09] Mike Bennett: [Action] Ken to augment the procedures page. Will continue to add to this as we learn of new activities such as the social media accounts.     (5AAAJ)

[18:09] Mike Bennett: The immediate part of this is what servers we use, who runs it and what to do when it goes wrong.     (5AAAK)


[18:10] Mike Bennett: 4. Future Sessions Planning     (5AAAL)

[18:10] Mike Bennett: Ontology Summit post-mortem:     (5AAAM)

[18:10] Mike Bennett: We had one of these; were intending to have another one shortly, which would also cover pre-planning for the next one.     (5AAAN)

[18:11] Mike Bennett: who is the chair for the next Ontology Summit?     (5AAAO)

[18:11] Mike Bennett: If it's Michael Grüninger, does he know this ?     (5AAAP)

[18:11] Mike Bennett: We don't have a chair but we potentially have co-chairs, one of which is always the president of IAOA.     (5AAAQ)

[18:11] Mike Bennett: The 2nd Chair usually gets elected once we've identified a theme.     (5AAAR)

[18:12] Mike Bennett: Therefore Michael Grüninger as chair of IAOA is the 1st chair.     (5AAAS)

[18:12] Mike Bennett: Leo Obrst confirms Michael Grüninger is still the chair of IAOA and therefore in the frame for this.     (5AAAT)

[18:12] Mike Bennett: [Action] Matthew West will contact Michael Grüninger in the next week about Ontology Summit chair actions.     (5AAAU)

[18:12] Mike Bennett: Ordinary Ontolog Forun sessions:     (5AAAV)

[18:13] Mike Bennett: Do we have someone who is prepared to champion this?     (5AAAW)

[18:13] Mike Bennett: There was a recent function with SoCOP and MichaelGruinger and Gary Berg Cross but this was not structured as an Ontolog Forum thing and was not captured in the wiki.     (5AAAX)

[18:14] Mike Bennett: Are we moving away from that event structure or was this a one off?     (5AAAY)

[18:14] Mike Bennett: THis was more an ad hoc SoCOP event not an Ontolog Forum event.     (5AAAZ)

[18:15] Peter P. Yim: (as far as I know) creators/stewards of the social media accounts:     (5AAAAA)


- LinkedIn (OntologForum) - Ed Dodds <dodds@conmergence.com>     (5AAAAB)

- Facebook (OntologForum) - Charlie White <charles.p.white@jpl.nasa.gov>     (5AAAAC)

- Twitter (OntologySummit) - Amanda Vizedom <amanda.vizedom@gmail.com>     (5AAAAD)

- Google+ (OntologForum) - Joel Bender <jjb5@cornell.edu>     (5AAAAE)

[18:15] Mike Bennett: Do we have current stuff?     (5AAAAG)

[18:15] Mike Bennett: As per previous minutes, we had 2 serieses that were paused.     (5AAAAH)

[18:16] Mike Bennett: This time of year we are almost into preparing for the next Summit. Should we just focus on that?     (5AAAAI)

[18:16] Mike Bennett: Are there little things e.g. a session we can run so as to get back onto people's diaries?     (5AAAAJ)

[18:17] Mike Bennett: This would be good for us just to do this - just one event or so, so as to get into the habit of doing it.     (5AAAAK)

[18:17] Mike Bennett: Peter P. Yim suggestion: do a session as we did in the earler Ontolog days, to have a session where people say what they want to see done at the Ontolog Forum.     (5AAAAL)

[18:17] Mike Bennett: This would get us up and running.     (5AAAAM)

[18:18] Mike Bennett: [Action] Mike Bennett to get this in place by early / mid September. MatthewWet to adminiser the required kicking if he doesn't by mid Semt.     (5AAAAN)

[18:19] Mike Bennett: Perhaps also restructure sessions as single-speaker sessions, given the challenges of over-run when 3 or 4 speakers over-run.     (5AAAAO)

[18:19] Mike Bennett: We will run this idea past the membership in that first back-to-school planning session.     (5AAAAP)

[18:20] Mike Bennett: The initial session Mike is taking the action is the initial welcome back and what do you want to see session.     (5AAAAQ)

[18:21] Mike Bennett: Date for next Ontology Summit post mortem session?     (5AAAAR)

[18:21] Mike Bennett: Unknown but still in the future.     (5AAAAS)

[18:21] Mike Bennett: [Action] Matthew West will ask Michael Grüninger when this is intended to be.     (5AAAAT)

[18:21] Mike Bennett: By October the co-organizers of the 2016 Summit will need to have convened to map out the Summit.     (5AAAAU)


[18:22] Mike Bennett: 5. BoT Proposals     (5AAAAV)

[18:22] Mike Bennett: 5.1 Specific names proposals     (5AAAAW)

[18:22] Mike Bennett: MatthewWet proposes Anatoly Levenchuk     (5AAAAX)

[18:22] Mike Bennett: No objections     (5AAAAZ)

[18:23] Mike Bennett: [Action] Matthew West will invite Anatoly Levenchuk to join the BoT     (5AAAAAA)

[18:23] Mike Bennett: Other names? We should look at people who have been champions more than once.     (5AAAAAB)

[18:24] Mike Bennett: Peter, Leo second this.     (5AAAAAE)

[18:25] Mike Bennett: Can someone go back through the last couple of Ontology Summits and see if anyone else has been a Champion more than once.     (5AAAAAF)

[18:25] Mike Bennett: How many new people do we need? Is there an upper target e.g. 10 active members?     (5AAAAAG)

[18:25] Mike Bennett: Leo Obrst suggests Ram Sri Ram.     (5AAAAAH)

[18:26] Mike Bennett: We currently have about 7 active members.     (5AAAAAI)

[18:27] Mike Bennett: Leo Obrst has sent a follow-on message to Ed Barkmeyer about his proposal to step down. Having heard nothing, we assume his decision stands.     (5AAAAAJ)

[18:28] Mike Bennett: Who will contact who?     (5AAAAAK)

[18:28] Mike Bennett: [Action] Leo Obrst will contact Gary Berg Cross and RamSriRam. Matthew West will contaact Anatoly Levenchuk and Todd Schneider     (5AAAAAL)

[18:28] Mike Bennett: Is there a process for adding people, other than just getting their agreement?     (5AAAAAM)

[18:29] Mike Bennett: Both Leo and Matthew will check what the process is for adding someone and follow it with the above.     (5AAAAAN)


[18:30] Mike Bennett: Leo Obrst - for the ontology summit 2015 we still do not have the paper for Applied Ontology. Michael Grüninger was to do something. RamSriRam, Leo Obrst and Mark Underwood will discuss this tomorrow, with Michael if he is available.     (5AAAAAP)

[18:31] Peter P. Yim: at the Ontology Summit 2015 postmortem session - http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/wiki/ConferenceCall_2015_05_28 - it was identified that we should be doing a OntologySummit2016 pre-planning session in September (ref. http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/w/index.php?title=ConferenceCall_2015_05_28&oldid=15757#hid1J102 )     (5AAAAAQ)

[18:31] Mike Bennett: Intend to update the communique for Applied Ontology     (5AAAAAR)

[18:32] Mike Bennett: The next 3 months is Matthew West chairship, and intend to meet again in 1 month from now.     (5AAAAAS)

[18:33] Mike Bennett: That next meeting would be Sept 24     (5AAAAAT)

[18:33] Mike Bennett: does that work for everyone?     (5AAAAAU)

[18:34] Mike Bennett: Peter P. Yim can't make it that day.     (5AAAAAV)

[18:34] Mike Bennett: Otherwise OK - so that's confirmed.     (5AAAAAW)

[18:37] Peter P. Yim: session adjourned     (5AAAAAX)


Resources     (6)

Past Meetings     (7)