From OntologPSMW

Jump to: navigation, search
[ ]

Contents

ONTOLOG BoardOfTrustees Meeting (n.07) - Wed 2015.01.14    (1)

Date and Time:     (2A)

Dial-in:     (2E)

  • Phone (US): +1 (425) 440-5100 (long distance cost may apply)     (2F)
  • Skype: join.conference (i.e. make a skype call to the contact with skypeID="join.conference") (generally free-of-charge, when connecting from your computer ref.)     (2G)
    • when prompted enter Conference ID: 843758#     (2G1)
    • Unfamiliar with how to do this on Skype?     (2G2)
      • Add the contact "join.conference" to your skype contact list first. To participate in the teleconference, make a skype call to "join.conference", then open the dial pad (see platform-specific instructions below) and enter the Conference ID: 843758# when prompted.     (2G2A)
    • Can't find Skype Dial pad?     (2G3)
      • for Windows Skype users: Can't find Skype Dial pad? it's under the "Call" dropdown menu as "Show Dial pad"     (2G3A)
      • for Linux Skype users: please note that the dial-pad is only available on v4.1 (or later; or on the earlier Skype versions 2.x,) if the dialpad button is not shown in the call window you need to press the "d" hotkey to enable it. (ref.)     (2G3B)
  • To un-mute, press "*7" To mute, press "*6" (please mute your phone, especially if you are in a noisy surrounding, or if you are introducing noise, echoes, etc. into the conference line.)     (2H)

  • instructions: once you got access to the page, click on the "settings" button, and identify yourself (by modifying the Name field from "anonymous" to your real name, like "JaneDoe").     (2J)
  • You can indicate that you want to ask a question verbally by clicking on the "hand" button, and wait for the moderator to call on you; or, type and send your question into the chat window at the bottom of the screen.     (2K)
  • thanks to the soaphub.org folks, one can now use a jabber/xmpp client (e.g. gtalk) to join this chatroom. Just add the room as a buddy - (in our case here) ontolog-bot_20141204@soaphub.org Handy for mobile devices!     (2L)

Attendees     (3)

1. Minutes of previous meeting     (4C)

To approve the minutes of the previous meeting.     (4D)

2. Matters arising not dealt with elsewhere     (4E)

3. Infrastructure status report     (4F)

3.1 Ontolog/IAOA event calendar (MichaelGruninger)     (4G)

Progress on setting up the page.     (4H)

3.2 Uploading previous sessions recordings     (4I)

3.3 Progress on establishing infrastructure     (4K)

4. Future sessions planning     (4O)

4.1 Cognitive computing     (4P)

4.2 Ideas for future sessions     (4R)

5. Ontology Summit     (4S)

Report of meeting from 2014-12-11, MichaelGruninger.     (4T)

6. Changes to BoT terms of reference     (4Y)

Report from MatthewWest on how to change Terms of Reference and of adding the use of Robert's Rules of Order when necessary. The change process is:     (4Z)

  1. These Terms of Reference can be changed at any time by the current Board of Trustees.     (4AA)
  2. Proposed changes should be publicized to the general membership of the Ontolog Community of Practice, along with an avenue for feedback and discussion, prior to decision by the Board.     (4AB)

The proposed change has been publicized to the general membership, and there has been no negative response (in fact no response at all). We are therefore free to make a revision. The proposed revision is:     (4AC)

Add under Organization:     (4AD)

"4. It is expected that most meetings will operate on an informal basis. However, there may arise difficult or controversial discussions where this would be inappropriate. Therefore any Trustee present at a meeting may request that any item be discussed following Robert's Rules of Order."     (4AE)

7. BoT Membership     (4AF)

7.1 Follow up with inactive members     (4AG)

7.2 Proposals for additional members     (4AI)

We need some more members of the BoT to get the work done. Report from MichaelGruninger.     (4AJ)

8. Other business     (4AK)

8.1 Communications with the Ontolog Forum     (4AL)

  • The procedures for the scribe have been updated to include sending a summary to the Ontolog Forum.     (4AN)
  • A summary of the last meeting was sent to the Ontolog List.     (4AO)

Report from AmandaVizedom on fostering a community wide conversation about infrastructure and modes of interaction.     (4AP)

8.2 A concern of the current chair     (4AQ)

Our current organizational structure almost guarantees failure.     (4AR)

9. Next Meeting     (4AS)

Chat Transcript    (5)

ppy/ONTOLOG-BoT_n07_chat-transcript_20150114b_redacted     (5A)



Chat transcript from room: ontolog-bot_20150114 2015-01-14 GMT-08:00 [PST]     (5B)


[9:31] Michael Grüninger: 1. Minutes of previous meeting (4C)     (5D)

To approve the minutes of the previous meeting. (4D)     (5E)

2. Matters arising not dealt with elsewhere (4E)     (5F)

3. Infrastructure status report (4F)     (5G)

3.1 Ontolog/IAOA event calendar (MichaelGruninger) (4G)     (5H)

Progress on setting up the page. (4H)     (5I)

3.2 Uploading previous sessions recordings (4I)     (5J)

3.3 Progress on establishing infrastructure (4K)     (5L)

   Do we know where we are going (is it documented)?     (4L)
   Where are we?     (4M)
   What is the plan for getting there?     (4N)

4. Future sessions planning (4O)     (5M)

4.1 Cognitive computing (4P)     (5N)

Report from Amanda Vizedom (4Q)     (5O)

4.2 Ideas for future sessions (4R)     (5P)

5. Ontology Summit (4S)     (5Q)

Report of meeting from 2014-12-11, MichaelGruninger. (4T)     (5R)

   Where are we?     
   Where do we need to get to?     
   What is the plan?    

6. Changes to BoT terms of reference     (5T)

Report from Matthew West on how to change Terms of Reference and of adding the use of Robert's Rules of Order when necessary. The change process is:     (5U)

   These Terms of Reference can be changed at any time by the current Board of Trustees.   
   Proposed changes should be publicized to the general membership of the Ontolog Community of Practice, along with an avenue for feedback and discussion, prior to decision by the Board.     

The proposed change has been publicized to the general membership, and there has been no negative response (in fact no response at all). We are therefore free to make a revision. The proposed revision is:     (5V)

Add under Organization:     (5W)

"4. It is expected that most meetings will operate on an informal basis. However, there may arise difficult or controversial discussions where this would be inappropriate. Therefore any Trustee present at a meeting may request that any item be discussed following Robert's Rules of Order."     (5X)

7. BoT Membership     (5Y)

7.1 Follow up with inactive members     (5Z)

Report from Leo Obrst regarding Barry Smith, Pat Hayes, Mark Musen     (5AA)

7.2 Proposals for additional members     (5AB)

We need some more members of the BoT to get the work done. Report from MichaelGruninger.     (5AC)

8. Other business     (5AD)

8.1 Communications with the Ontolog Forum     (5AE)

   The procedures for the scribe have been updated to include sending a summary to the Ontolog Forum.    
   A summary of the last meeting was sent to the Ontolog List.   

Report from Amanda Vizedom on fostering a community wide conversation about infrastructure and modes of interaction.     (5AG)

8.2 A concern of the current chair     (5AH)

Our current organizational structure almost guarantees failure.     (5AI)

9. Next Meeting     (5AJ)

[9:34] Leo Obrst: Matthew, I emailed the code.     (5AL)

[9:35] Matthew West: I found it thanks. We are on Skype.     (5AM)

[9:37] Michael Grüninger: Minutes of previous meeting adopted (Peter Yim, MikeBennett)     (5AO)

[9:38] Michael Grüninger: 2. Matters arising not dealt with elsewhere -- skip (no additional items)     (5AP)

[9:38] Michael Grüninger: 3. Infrastructure status report     (5AQ)

[9:39] Michael Grüninger: Ontolog/IAOA event calendar has not been established yet     (5AR)

[9:39] Michael Grüninger: How was thins managed previously?     (5AS)

[9:40] Michael Grüninger: Proposed solution: run Google Calendar     (5AT)

[9:40] Amanda Vizedom: I believe that the general desire/demand has been for something like Google calendar or another published, subscription-ready , standard format calendar.     (5AU)

[9:40] Michael Grüninger: Who has access to this calendar     (5AV)

[9:41] Amanda Vizedom: Publicly viewable, but not widely editable.     (5AW)

[9:43] Michael Grüninger: Decision: the existing Ontolog Forum Google Calendar will be the official calendar     (5AX)

[9:45] Michael Grüninger: Who will be the person who will manage the calendar (including presentation layer)?     (5AY)

[9:46] Michael Grüninger: Amanda Vizedom has volunteered to manage the calendar     (5AZ)

[9:47] Amanda Vizedom: I will get it up and running and manage it for now, then document it an its management, then call for a volunteer to take it over.     (5AAA)

[9:47] Michael Grüninger: Matthew West will update BoT procedures regarding calendar     (5AAB)

[9:48] Michael Grüninger: Matthew West will send the link to the existing Calendar to Amanda     (5AAC)

[9:49] Michael Grüninger: Peter P. Yim will send access instructions to Amanda     (5AAD)

[9:51] Mike Bennett: Here's a piece of code that Goggle gives you to include the calendar in a website:     (5AAF)

[9:51] Mike Bennett: <iframe src="https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=cdj1lbkn5g1r7gi1l1ffd2mkec%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York" style="border: 0" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>     (5AAG)

[9:51] Michael Grüninger: 3.2 Uploading previous sessions recordings     (5AAH)

[9:51] Michael Grüninger: Peter P. Yim and Ken Baclawski are still working on content migration     (5AAI)

[9:52] Michael Grüninger: This item will stay on the agenda (should be accomplished soon)     (5AAJ)

[9:52] Mike Bennett: @Amanda when looking at the calendar, there's an out of date link in the "description".     (5AAK)

[9:54] Michael Grüninger: Peter P. Yim: skins are available so that each group page can have a different look-and-feel, different banner, etc     (5AAL)

[9:54] Amanda Vizedom: @MikeB: noted, thanks.     (5AAM)

[9:55] Michael Grüninger: Proposal: We will use last year's Ontology Summit banner for this year's Summit     (5AAN)

[9:55] Michael Grüninger: Request: Submit an IAOA banner     (5AAO)

[9:56] Amanda Vizedom: I recommend that the Summit Committee members consult with whoever is managing the social media / publicity before making a decision re: banner.     (5AAP)

[9:56] Michael Grüninger: 3.3 Progress on establishing infrastructure (4K)     (5AAQ)

[9:56] Michael Grüninger: Matthew West: We are muddling through with this development -- there is no documented plan to achieve this     (5AAR)

[9:58] Michael Grüninger: Amanda Vizedom has posted recent accomplishments on infrastructure     (5AAS)

[9:58] Peter P. Yim: ^"accomplishments" - should read: "attempt"     (5AAT)

[9:59] Michael Grüninger: MattewWest: There is no single place where the overall plan is presented     (5AAU)

[10:02] Michael Grüninger: Matthew West: Should we have a standing document that contains the plan, and which gets updated as progress is achieved     (5AAW)

[10:03] Michael Grüninger: What has changed since Peter's report?     (5AAX)

[10:05] Amanda Vizedom: Suggestion: Create a "CurrentOntologInfrastructure" wiki page. Use Peter's report to start it. Add responsible parties where known. Ask all relevant persons to update whatever they know about. Adjust format for ease of updating and tracking. Add links where appropriate.     (5AAY)

[10:07] Amanda Vizedom: Add: skim emails and BOT minutes since that report for updates.     (5AAZ)

[10:08] Michael Grüninger: 4. Future sessions planning     (5AAAA)

[10:09] Michael Grüninger: With the Summit now starting, there will be no future session planning until May     (5AAAB)

[10:11] Michael Grüninger: Planning should start by sometime in May     (5AAAC)

[10:11] Michael Grüninger: 5. Ontology Summit     (5AAAD)

[10:14] Michael Grüninger: I will post the chat transcript for the December 11 Ontology Summit session     (5AAAE)

[10:16] Amanda Vizedom: Regarding Tracking of high-level Ontolog matters by Board of Trustees: On the ONTOLOG_BoardOfTrustees wiki page, there is a section toward the bottom: 1.7.2 Work-In-Progress (http://ontolog-02.cim3.net/w/index.php?title=ONTOLOG_BoardOfTrustees&oldid=15166#hid1I4). I've put an item there for the Future Ontolog Infrastructure project, with a link to that page. Suggestion: Do the same for CurrentOntologInfrastructure, process documentation, any other major areas of activity.     (5AAAF)

[10:19] Michael Grüninger: 6. Changes to BoT terms of reference     (5AAAG)

[10:21] Michael Grüninger: Decision: We adopt Matthew's text (with the link from Mike Bennett included)     (5AAAJ)

[10:22] Michael Grüninger: 7. BoT Membership     (5AAAK)

[10:24] Michael Grüninger: We note Pat Hayes resignation (with a note of thanks)     (5AAAL)

[10:25] Michael Grüninger: Leo Obrst: We need to select new candidates to the BoT     (5AAAM)

[10:28] Michael Grüninger: Who are potential new candidates?     (5AAAN)

[10:37] Michael Grüninger: These are names we are currently considering, but we are not making any decisions/invitations at this time     (5AAAU)

[10:38] Michael Grüninger: 8.1 Communications with the Ontolog Forum     (5AAAW)

[10:38] Michael Grüninger: MattewWest posted a summary of the meeting (based on minutes) to Ontolog forum     (5AAAX)

[10:39] Michael Grüninger: Amanda Vizedom has just initiated the discussion about infrastructure     (5AAAY)

[10:42] Amanda Vizedom: oops, Peter, you beat me to it.     (5AAAAC)

[10:42] Michael Grüninger: 8.2 A concern of the current chair     (5AAAAD)

[10:46] Michael Grüninger: Having a rotating chair is not working -- handover has been difficult     (5AAAAE)

[10:47] Michael Grüninger: Matthew West: Should the chair having an annual term?     (5AAAAF)

[10:47] Mike Bennett: Or even 3 monthly, such that there is continuity beyond a given meeting cycle.     (5AAAAG)

[10:48] Michael Grüninger: Are there other mechanisms for ensuring continuity?     (5AAAAH)

[10:50] Peter P. Yim: @[x:22] 7. BoT Membership - I would like to point out my thinking process when coming up with the first set of BoT candidates - I did make very clear distinction between people who have "contributed to ONTOLOG" versus people who have "contributed to ONTOLOG hosted- or related- activities (like Ontology Summit, OOR, IAOA, SOCoP, etc.)" ... we only considered the former in that round     (5AAAAI)

[10:57] Peter P. Yim: [x:24] we also note MikeDean's passing (with a note of regret, and the fondest memory of his contributions)     (5AAAAJ)

[10:58] Mike Bennett: POssibly have a 3 month time box with continuous chair, use that continuity to pursue other mechanisms for continue, review in 3 months and continue?     (5AAAAK)

[11:00] Michael Grüninger: Next meeting: April 22     (5AAAAL)

[11:00] Peter P. Yim: a Wednesday     (5AAAAM)

[11:01] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended --     (5AAAAN)

[11:02] Sent transcript to: ppy@cim.us     (5AAAAP)

[11:03] Peter P. Yim: check out the IAOA verbiage regarding Robert's Rules     (5AAAAQ)

[11:03] Sent transcript to: ppy@cim.us     (5AAAAR)


Scribe Minutes    (6)

Resources     (7)

Past Meetings     (8)

For the record ...     (8I)